JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Young Tulips open up impressive lead at top

Have your say

SPALDING UTD U18S 3 WISBECH U18S 0: Spalding shook off a sloppy start to race five points clear at the top of the table.

The deadlock was broken a minute before the break when Nottingham poked the ball over the line after good work from Martin.

The second half saw the young Tulips play with much more purpose and they really got their passing game going, which opened up the Wisbech defence with ease.

After forcing the visiting keeper into five super saves, Spalding got their second goal from a short corner when Coaten fed Want, who delivered the perfect cross for Casey to thump his header into the net.

With Vassallo excellent in the heart of defence, the Tulips completed a deserved victory when Martin buried a well-taken third.

Although they’ve played a game more than second-placed Ketton, Spalding are well-positioned with seven games to play.



Wes Wilson’s winner earned newly-crowned champions Spalding a thrilling win.

The young Tulips soon found themselves 1-0 down as they struggled to find their rhythm.

However, after Edward Key saw a header ruled out, Spalding raced into a 2-1 lead thanks to goals from Jake Bellamy and Wilson.

Key then made it 3-1 to the Tulips with an overhead kick.

Thinking they’d done enough, Spalding took their foot off the gas and saw two mistakes punished by Wisbech to make the score 3-3.

The Tulips had the last word though and they won the match thanks to the move of the game. A free kick taken by Key found Kasper Pilarz wide on the right, who headed straight into the path of Wilson to fire home.



Pinchbeck United’s dreams of reaching the PFA Junior Cup final ended in emphatic fashion in this one-sided semi.

The stunned side fell 2-0 down inside five minutes – and that soon became 3-0 by the break. Two more quick Hampton goals after the break ended the game as a contest, but Pinchbeck at least got themselves going.

Jacko Withers blasted a shot over and Elliott Ramsden headed straight at the keeper as they pushed forward in a bid to restore some pride.

But Hampton added three more goals to cruise into the final.



Five second-half goals consigned Spalding to a loss against the league leaders.

Brandon Hall put the young Tulips ahead early on, but March were soon back on level terms before the break.

The table-toppers upped their game in the second period and two quick goals rocked the Tulips.

Spalding then had a few chances to peg March back, but three more goals gave the result a one-sided look.


HBW U13S 2

Holbeach fell just short against the league leaders.

In a tight first period, the Tigers had the better of the chances in a goalless first half and hit the post with their best effort.

Despite playing some of their best football of the season after the break, Holbeach just couldn’t find a breakthrough.

And they were made to pay when a slick break by HBW resulted in the opener.

Now with three players in attack, Holbeach pushed forward in search of an equaliser in the last ten minutes, but were hit by a second goal in the closing stages.

Holbeach boss Tommy Gostic said: “If the boys play like that for the rest of the season, they will do us proud.”



Dons remain in the title hunt after edging this cracking contest.

The deadlock was broken when Harvey Wirkowski swung in an accurate cross for Ben Atkinson to head his first goal for the club.

It was 2-0 at the break when Thomas Langford’s low free kick nestled in the corner – but Dons were then indebted to a super save from keeper Charlie Rodgers.

Colts pulled one back, but Mason Shores soon created an opportunity for Luke Scampion to bury his 23rd of the season and make it 3-1. Although Birchwood then battled back to make it 3-3, Dons had the last word when another Langford free kick deceived everyone and found the corner.