JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Tigers secure second spot in 10-goal thriller

Have a pizza this! Holbeach United under-7s show off their new kit, sponsored by Bakkavor Pizza. Photo (TIM WILSON): SG140412-139TW (to order visit www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/buyaphoto)
Have a pizza this! Holbeach United under-7s show off their new kit, sponsored by Bakkavor Pizza. Photo (TIM WILSON): SG140412-139TW (to order visit www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/buyaphoto)
Share this article
Have your say

HOLBEACH UNITED U/14s 5 YOUNG DONS U/14s 5: IT was goals galore as Holbeach got the point they needed to secure second in the league.

In what was a great advert for Mid Lincs League football, the game was littered with great goals from both teams.

Holbeach had much of the play in the first half, scoring all five goals, with all of them great passing moves.

Declan Earth, Jordan Keeble and a great hat-trick from Conor Price fired Holbeach ahead, while at the other end Dons looked dangerous on the break and notched twice before the half-time whistle.

The second half saw Dons push forward and they took command, with Ashley Sandall helping himself to a second half treble to level the scores – including a last-minute equaliser.

It mattered little to the young Tigers, who finish second in Mid Lincs A League – topping off a great first season in the division.



THE scoreline was incredibly harsh on Pinchbeck as they lost the Peterborough League Cup final to clinical Eye.

Pinchbeck started brightly, with some timely runs down the right wing by Ben Lawrence creating several half chances.

But it was Eye who took the lead, scrambling the ball in from an unforced corner after ten minutes.

Pinchbeck continued to press forward with Tom Hebblewhite and Jack Brown having shots blocked from close range, before Eye went 2-0 up with a shot that looped over keeper Kaylum Storey .

There was a lifeline for Pinchbeck when Jacko Withers steamed through the Eye defence and was brought down in the box.

Brandin Mahon stepped up and fired a convincing penalty into the top corner to bring his side back into the game.

From the kick off Pinchbeck switched off though, as Eye went straight through the middle to make it 3-1.

After the break a Withers free kick went close after Elliot Ramsden was fouled just outside the box.

He followed that up with a lob from an acute angle that just went over the bar, while Brown and Lawrence also had shots blocked from inside the box.

However, Eye got their fourth from the penalty spot – and although Pinchbeck never gave up and continued to press forward, it was a big moment.

Pinchbeck finally got some reward when Withers split the Eye defence with a perfectly weighted pass that sent Hebblewhite through to calmly slot home.

A comeback failed to materialise, as Pinchbeck switched off from the kick off and Eye went straight through to make an immediate reply.

The last throw of the dice for Pinchbeck was going three at the back to try and get a couple of quick goals, but Eye sneaked their sixth in the last minute.



COLTS edged this derby game but couldn’t find the winner in an entertaining clash – one of three matches in four days.

The match had everything with tackles, attacking action and controversy. Wyberton nearly broke the deadlock when Riley Hall turned the Fishtoft defence, but the goalkeeper produced an excellent save.

Fishtoft had the opportunity to seal the points in the last minute but put a penalty over the bar.



DESPITE appalling weather conditions, Wyberton produced some excellent attacking football as they eased to victory in Lincoln.

Scott Waterfall, playing in centre midfield, pulled the strings and played some excellent balls through to the forwards, supported well by Mitchell Teft.

Excellent wing played by Callum Clarke produced a fine goal, followed up by team goals for Jenson Ball (2), Conor Goodfellow, Louis Gosling and a Ben Lawrence penalty.



WYBERTON’S best showing of their manic run of games saw higher-placed Greenbank put to the sword.

Despite missing a couple of players, Colts started in style with a first-minute by Riley Hall. This settled them down and they took total control of the game with effort and hard work.

Louis Gosling hit a thunderbolt into the corner, followed by headers from Callum Clarke and Mitchell Teft and an excellent finish by Conor Goodfellow. Riley Hall went onto to score four more goals with some precision finishing.



IRRESISTABLE Holbeach finished their title-winning season with a 100 per cent record.

Playing their final game of the season on the first team’s pitch at Carter’s Park, the young Tigers didn’t disappoint.

They did find the East Coast keeper in outstanding form though, as he saved everything that Holbeach could throw at him for most of the afternoon.

Holbeach did break the deadlock just before the break, when a corner fell to skipper and man-of-the-match Dan Mason to slam home from close range.

After the break Holbeach bossed the game from the start to the finish. Holbeach added the second of the day, when Joe Fowler found the top corner from the edge of the box. With five minutes to go Stefan Gostic flicked home Brandon England’s cross with the outside of his boot to seal the win.

Manager Tommy Gostic said: “This was a perfect game to finish off a perfect season. A big well done goes to all the lads and coaching staff.”