JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Super Spalding give a rip-roaring display

Have your say

SPALDING ATHLETIC U/18s 7 RIPPINGALE U/18s 1: SEVEN-UP Spalding delivered an exciting performance as they blew Rippingale away.

It was a fine start to the new year at the Sir Halley Stewart Field, with opportunities coming at both ends of the pitch.

But it wasn’t until a minute before half time that the scoring was opened through Spalding’s James Allen, followed by a second from team-mate Jack Bettinson.

Shortly after half time the visitors made it 2-1, but that only served to fire Spalding up. Despite Rippingale’s valiant efforts, five more deserved goals sealed the match for Spalding.

Kyle McMahon, Aaron Cooper, Lee Haslam, Ben Peppercorn and Aaron Giardelli were the scorers.



TABLE-TOPPING Dons continued their impressive run with another wonderful win.

In the first fixture of 2012, Hawks scored the opening goal – which seemed to wake up the Dons as Effield equalised after some excellent football, before being forced off injured.

Replacement Earth moved into a five-man midfield with Pickering going up front – and what an inspired move that proved to be.

Revelling in attack, Pickering helped himself to a fine hat-trick, which was aided by some excellent work from Harker and Francis.

Parker, back from a long injury delay, played well before turning an ankle, while Barnet slotted in well as his replacement.



UNBEATEN Holbeach returned from the Christmas break in ominous form as they cemented their place at the top of the table.

It was the Tigers’ first game in four weeks – and early on it showed, with the team struggling to play their best football.

After some scrappy play from both sides in the first half, it was Holbeach who took the lead. A whipped corner from Brandon England found Gregory Senior, who turned the ball home from six yards.

Holbeach played a bit better in the second half, but it was the defence who showed their class as Ivatt, McKeown and Senior stopping anything that got past the midfield.

The young Tigers took their time to get the second goal, but it eventually arrived when frontman Jamal Nyang got in behind the Sleaford back four to slot the ball home.

With eight minutes to go Holbeach finally wrapped up the points with their third goal, scored by makeshift central midfielder Rajan Sangha.

Manger Tommy Gostic said: “It was a good result. We didn’t play our best football but still got the result needed to stay top of the league.

“After a few more games the fitness levels will be back and Holbeach can only get stronger.”



HOLBEACH returned to winning ways in fantastic fashion.

Despite a sluggish start by both teams, Holbeach took an early lead when Liam Sandall put Harry Collishaw through for a clinical finish. The Holbeach defence of Tom Coley, Fenn Storey and Tom Tyler had a few nervous moments soon after, but the vocal Matthew Wilshire kept things organised at the back.

Holbeach continued to press and a through ball from Jordan Olive allowed Sandall to double the lead. Sandall added another soon after, following good work from the midfield of Louis Preston and Harry Machin, who made it 4-0 on the stroke of half-time.

Malborne started the second half brightly and reduced the arrears, but the young Tigers hit back when Callum Matthews broke clear to score.

Further pressure from Malborne forced a string of fine saves from man-of-the-match Wilshire, before Sandall raced through to complete his hat-trick.

A close-range effort from Lewis Turner made it seven, but there was still time for a late Malborne consolation.



FOUR-SOME Athletic started 2012 with a fine victory.

Spalding struggled early on in the first half against the wind and had to defend well to keep Rippingale at bay.

Jack Sawyer and Samuel Burden had great games at the back for the Whites and thoroughly deserved their second clean sheet of the season.

Five minutes before the break Spalding got their opening goal when captain Jack Holland pressurised the Rippingale defence, won the ball and fired home his first of the season from outside of the box.

In the second half Athletic created much more chances – and it wasn’t long before Cameron Duncan-Johal broke through and fired home to make it two.

Harry Loveridge poked home soon after to make it three, before Sam Bayly completed the scoring when he tapped in a cross by man-of-the-match Duncan-Johal, who enjoyed his best game for the club.



AN entertaining start to the year saw Holbeach secure a richly-deserved victory.

The young Tigers put Boston under pressure early on with a barrage of attempts. A number of them hit the woodwork, while the keeper was pressed into action on many occasions.

Holbeach eventually made the breakthrough just before half time when Ewan McCracken fired home the opener.

After the break the Tigers went in search of more goals. Ten minutes into the second half right back William Taylor made his way through Boston’s midfield to find Cameron Oko, who buried his first of the day.

The third and final goal started with a corner kick taken by Mikey Bailey, who passed to Taylor to chip the ball into the box for Oko to head home.



FIVE-STAR Dons showed no sign of rustiness as they got straight back into their stride.

Both sides started tentatively as they acclimatised to the heavy pitch. Dons gradually asserted themselves on the game and took the lead when Tyler McKendrick cross-cum shot was deflected into the net.

Minutes later Luke Hood turned well and lashed the ball in from just inside the Colts area to double the lead.

Just before the break Jacob Drew – who is growing in stature and confidence with every game – forced his way into the Colts area and steered the ball into the corner of the net to make it 3-0.

It was much the same after the break, as a searching cross from McKendrick was flicked over the keeper by the head of Hood.

The Cherry Colts pulled one back, but Thomas Langford and Hood combined to find Mason Shores, who buried number five.