JUNIOR FOOTBALL: French connection guides young Tulips to glory

Pinchbeck United under-9s and their manager Nick Deans, with their new MRN Recruitment LTD sponsored kits. Louiza Yates was representing MRN. Photo (mike davison): SG131012-02MD
Pinchbeck United under-9s and their manager Nick Deans, with their new MRN Recruitment LTD sponsored kits. Louiza Yates was representing MRN. Photo (mike davison): SG131012-02MD
Have your say

BLACKSTONES U16s 3 SPALDING UTD U16s 4: Spalding maintained their unbeaten start to the league season as their quest to win the title continued.

The young Tulips did find themselves 2-0 down inside ten minutes against a determined Blackstone side.

But a speculative 20-yarder from Liam French sparked a Spalding revival – and the man-of-the-match went on to complete a hat-trick before half time.

The away side dominated after the break and saw chances go begging, most notably from Wes Wilson.

However, Lewis Bellamy made it 4-2 with a cheeky backheel to wrap up the points, ensuring a late Stones strike was just consolation.

The win keeps Spalding top of the table.



A last-gasp leveller denied Holbeach a fine victory.

A slow start saw the Tigers go two behind within the first 20 minutes. But they they soon upped their game and were unlucky not to be all-square at half time.

In the second half they moved up a gear and Gilbert (2) and Farrell converted three of their many chances.

With the game in injury time and Whittlesey outclassed the boys lost concentration and paid the penalty, as Whittlesey scrambled home a late free kick to equalise.

It was still a very good team performance, with Phillips, Uglow and Davis excelling.



This was always going to be a difficult match against league leaders Sleaford – and so it proved.

With a few players out, Dons held firm in an even first half and the game went in level at the break.

Sleaford pressed hard in the second half, and scored through a well-taken goal.

This seemed to knock the home side and Sleaford added another to double their advantage.

This looked as if it was going to be the final score, until the away side grabbed a third goal within the last minute.

Man of the match: Jonathan Trevor.



Spalding progressed to the second round of the PFA Cup with a comprehensive win.

Ellis Watson-Bottomley opened his account for the season on ten minutes, then Ben Smith converted a rebound after Jack Holland’s long range volley was saved.

Number three was drilled in by Watson-Bottomley before the break, then Cameron Duncan-Johal made it 4-0 with a strike from the edge of the box.

There was still time for Sam Bayly to net a second-half hat-trick after coming on as substitute – making it three trebles in as many games.

Jack Sawyer, Samuel Burden and Joseph Bull put in superb performances.

S & L CORBY U10s 1


In-form Holbeach kept their winning run going with this Knockout Cup win.

The Tigers started superbly, with Callum Hoole and Charlie Parkes playing exceptionally well and putting the Corby defence under some early pressure.

That eventually led to an opener, which was an unfortunate own goal. Lewis Collishaw and Parkes combined to find striker James Clark, whose shot – which was heading off target – was deflected in.

Corby soon equalised, but Holbeach were ahead at half time when Jack Cunnington fired home a sweet strike.

The win was clinched by a great breakaway move. Keeper Jenson Patterson started it, with Cunnington then cutting in from the right and finding his strike partner Clark, who rounded the keeper and slotted into the net.

Jack Smith, Thomas Moxon and Alfie Wilson all played well in defence.

Man of the match: Callum Hoole



Holbeach enjoyed a purple patch in front of goal as Wisbech were hit for seven.

Holbeach created all the early chances, with two good chances for Jordan Olive going begging before Liam Sandall broke clear of the home defence to open the scoring.

This was soon followed by another chance for Sandall and, when the goalkeeper failed to hold onto his fierce shot, Harry Collishaw was on hand to force the ball home and double the lead.

The Holbeach midfield continued to work hard and a fine individual effort from Fenn Storey saw Holbeach go in at half-time with a 3-0 lead.

The home side started the second half with purpose and only strong defending from Tom Tyler and Harry Machin limited Purple to long range shots that keeper Matthew Wilshire dealt with comfortably.

Holbeach were creating chances of their own and soon Liam Scales did well to hold off the defence and score from close range.

With the match still quite even, Holbeach gradually took control of the midfield, with Ryan Cook and Olive taking their chances well to extend the lead. The scoring was rounded off by a fine strike from Lewis Turner and Holbeach recorded their third clean sheet in a row.



Holbeach bounced back from last week’s cup loss with an impressive league success.

New signing Callum Davies got them off to the perfect start, netting twice in the first 20 minutes.

Birchwood did draw themselves level with goals either side of half time, but the hard-working Josh Lawrence soon put the Tigers back ahead.

Further goals from Stefan Gostic and Jamal Nyang made the game safe, before Davies completed an impressive hat-trick – and made it 52 league successes on the trot.



Joe McKue’s stunning 25-yard extra-time winner earned Pinchbeck an impressive 3-2 PFA Cup win at Deeping Blue.

In what proved a dramatic clash, Deeping were the better side in the first half and deserved to go in 1-0 up.

United were much better after the break and levelled when Layton Maddison drilled a low half volley into the bottom corner from 15 yards. Blue re-took the lead eight minutes from time, only for sub Elliott Ramsden to level with a near-post strike late on.

That set the stage for McKue to bullet his late cracker into the top corner.



An own goal helped the young Tigers edge a cracking contest between two attacking teams.

Ewan McCracken had Holbeach’s first attempt at goal, but saw his effort crash back off the crossbar.

Netherton had their moments at the other end, before McCracken’s corner superbly found Billy Barnes, who headed into the back of the net.

The second half saw Holbeach ceate some good chances to extend their lead – only to find the Netherton keeper in top form. It wasn’t all one-way traffic though, as Charlie King in the Holbeach goal was under fire before finally conceding an equaliser.

Parity didn’t last for long, though as straight from the kick off McCracken forced a corner kick.

From that, Joseph Rickerby glided a shot into the box, which deflected in off a Netherton player. It was end-to-end action in the closing stages, but Holbeach held on.