FOOTBALL: Young Colts on the Ball to end season in style

Have your say

LOUTH OLD BOYS U/12s 1 WYBERTON COLTS U/12s 2: FLYING Colts finished their season on a high as they secured third place in the Mid Lincs league.

Jenson Ball was the hero, burying two cracking goals into the Old Boys net to wrap up a deserved victory.

Wyberton continued to play their neat, pass and go football that has made them a pleasure to watch this season under the management team of Martyn and Mel Scrupps and Mark Thompson.

Martyn Scrupps said: “The boys have been a pleasure to coach, they listen, work hard and are a credit to themselves and to the club with their conduct both on and off the pitch.”


MARCH U/13s 2

ELLIOTT Lea’s late strike secured a potentially pivotal draw for Holbeach in a high-pressure clash.

With promotion still a possibility for both teams, the young Tigers knew they’d have their work cut out against an in-form march outfit. Holbeach started brightly and Sam Ground prodded the ball home from the first corner of the game.

The Tigers pressed for much of the first half, but failed to increase their lead.

That proved costly, as March scored twice within the first five minutes of the second period to take the lead.

A tactical switch saw Holbeach skipper Liam Ford and goalscorer Ground switch positions, as they closed down the midfield and pressed for the equaliser.

It duly arrived when some slick passing culminated in Luke Barnes threading a ball through to Lea that, who smashed into the net.

Some classic ‘cup tie style’ football followed, with each team pressing for the win without reward.

The draw leaves both Holbeach and Wisbech St Mar level on points and goal difference in the promotion race, with the young Tigers scoring more goals.

Peterborough & District League



DAN Cole put in a man-of-the-match performance to guide Pinchbeck to all three points in this ten-goal thriller on Saturday.

In truth, United should have had double figures themselves. Tom Gosling opened the scoring for the home side within ten minutes and grabbed his second mid way through the half after neat link up play with Sam Munton.

Pinchbeck’s high tempo should have resulted in a bigger margin at the break, but wasteful finishing meant there was still work to do.

It got easier at the start of the second half when Cole picked the ball up, played a one two and hammered the ball past the bewildered keeper. 

His second was the pick of the goals when he beat three men on the edge of the box with some quick footwork before coolly slipping the ball in the corner of the goal, past the on rushing keeper. His determination to win the ball back and his imagination with the use of it was evident throughout.

Either side of Cole’s double, Mohammed Sohail scored two breakaway goals for Woodston. It was sloppy from the home side’s point of view, but with the game won the closing stages saw gaps appear at both ends. John Butler, Ash Wilson and an own goal completed the scoring for Pinchbeck, with Terry Rhodes bagging Woodston’s third.