Holbeach United and Spalding United will clash in the preliminary round of the FA Cup after both won on Saturday, while an injury-time goal sunk Deeping Rangers at Gorleston.
The Tigers and Tulips will meet at the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field on August 31 after Holbeach defeated Norwich United 2-1 and Spalding saw off Eynesbury Rovers 4-2.
Starting at Carter’s Park, goals from Luke Hollingworth and substitute Tom Waumsley were enough to earn Glen Maddison his second win in three competitive games since replacing John Chand as boss.
The hosts made the perfect start when hitman Hollingworth powered home a fine finish on four minutes, following strong work by Curt Yeatman on the left flank.
At the other end, Leigh Overton superbly tipped a free kick from Adam Bennett over as the Tigers held their lead up until half time – but they did lose star striker Liam Tunstall to injury in the 40th minute.
Norwich bossed the early stages of the second period and went close when Steve Shipley headed onto the bar at the back post.
But they did haul themselves level just past the hour. The Tigers failed to clear their lines from a free kick on the left, allowing sub Jordan Blyth to fire home from close range.
That seemed to wake Holbeach up and Waumsley, who replaced the injured Tunstall, rattled the bar with a sublime half volley from 25 yards.
He didn’t have to wait long to go one better though, toe-poking home what proved to be the winner on 70 minutes following a deft through ball from strike partner Hollingworth.
Matt Blake rattled the post late on as the visitors looked to force a reply, but the Tigers held firm to pocket the £1,500 prize money on offer.
Over at the Sir Halley, injury-hit Spalding dodged a banana skin as they saw off UCL Division One side Eynesbury 4-2.
Andrew Tidswell netted his first two Tulips goals of his second stint with the club, while winger Lee Beeson also added a brace of his own to steer Spalding through.
Deeping just failed to make it an FA Cup hat-trick for our sides as they spurned a 1-0 lead at Gorleston before sucumbing to a 2-1 loss.
Simon Ashton’s 16th minute strike gave visitors Rangers a half-time advantage in a tie played by the seaside. But two goals in the final 12 minutes from Clarke (78) and Finch (90+4) ended the hopes of Tuncay Korkmaz’s side.
Meanwhile, Bourne Town suffered a 4-1 beating at Raunds Town. Seb Hood headed a consolation for Darren Munton’s men, who made the impressive signing of Matt Holland from Yaxley in the week.
In the Peterborough and District League, Pinchbeck United’s fine start to the season continued as they saw off Coates Athletic 1-0 in their Premier Division opener at Knight Street.
But rivals Moulton Harrox lost again, going down 3-2 at much-fancied King’s Lynn Town Reserves. The defending champions have now lost as many Premier League games this season as they did in all of last year’s 34-game campaign.
In Division One, Long Sutton Athletic picked up a 1-0 home win over Netherton Reserves, while Omar Joof’s encouraging start to life as Holbeach United Reserves manager continued with a 3-2 victory at Ryhall United.
But Sutton Bridge United were handed a 4-0 home reverse by Thorney.
More football in Tuesday’s Lincolnshire Free Press.
• FA Cup: Extra Preliminary Round (selected): AFC Kempston Rovers 0 Wembley 1; Boston Town 3 Great Yarmouth Town 2; Cogenhoe United 0 Tring Athletic 0; Desborough Town 3 Oadby Town 1; Ely City 0 Sleaford Town 3; Gorleston 2 Deeping Rangers 1; Harborough Town 2 Teversal 1; Holbeach United 2 Norwich United 1; Huntingdon Town 4 Fakenham Town 1; Kings Langley 3 Long Buckby 1; London Colney 1 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1; Newport Pagnell Town 2 Hatfield Town 0; Spalding United 4 Eynesbury Rovers 2; Stewarts & Lloyds Corby 1 Arnold Town 1; Swaffham Town 2 Wisbech Town 1; Wellingborough Town 3 Greenhouse FC 3; Yaxley 0 Peterborough Northern Star 3 (Friday).
• UCL Division One: Buckingham Town 2 Northampton ON Chenecks 2; Burton Park Wanderers 0 Wellingborough Whitworth 1; Harrowby United 4 Olney Town 3;Lutterworth Athletic 3 St Neots Town Saints 0; Potton United 2 Thrapston Town 1; Raunds Town 4 Bourne Town 1; Rothwell Corinthians 1 Peterborough Sports 3.
• Peterborough & District League: Premier Division: King’s Lynn Town Reserves 3 Moulton Harrox 2; Netherton United 4 Whittlesey United 1; Oakham United 0 Sawtry 7; Peterborough ICA Sports 5 Ramsey Town 0; Pinchbeck United 1 Coates Athletic 0; Riverside 6 Whittlesey Blue Star 2.
• Division One: Ketton 2 Peterborough ICA Sports Reserves 2; Kings Cliffe United 0 Farcet United 0; Long Sutton Athletic 1 Netherton United Reserves 0; Peterborough Sports Reserves 1 AFC Stanground 6; Ryhall United 2 Holbeach United Reserves 3; Stamford Belvedere 0 Warboys Town 2; Sutton Bridge United 0 Thorney 4.
• President Premier Shield: Crowland Town 1 Leverington Sports 0; Stilton United 0 Uppingham Town 4.