FOOTBALL: Old Dons win cup; youth leagues round-up

Share this article
Have your say

Old Doningtonians beat Tydd St Mary 6-4 to win the Spalding Inter Services Cup final.

The two Boston Saturday League clubs put on a great goal feast at Carter’s Park on Saturday.

Tydd went ahead on four minutes after a fierce Mark Garner corner was whipped in but not held by the Old Dons keeper, who fumbled the ball into his own net.

Old Dons then showed their league superiority and bossed the rest of the half, putting four goals past Saints keeper Luke Burton to be 4-1 up by half time.

The Saints made formation changes and brought Steven Robinson and Pablo Da Silva off the bench to play as a striking partnership.

However, Old Dons scored within two minutes of the restart and converted a dubious penalty on 49 minutes to makie it 6-1.

An injury to centre-half Daniel Monaghan saw player/manager Mark Greenacre join the game and this was the catalyst for a Saints fightback.

On 65 minutes Robinson flicked on to Da Silva, who deftly lobbed the Old Dons keeper for 6-2.

Five minutes later Ash Godfrey scored a good goal to give Tydd some hope and with just seven minutes remaining the Old Dons keeper palmed another Garner corner into his net for 6-4.

It was then all Tydd for the final minutes. Stephen Cousins was denied by a wonderful save and Godfrey appeared to be felled in the box but the referee gave a free kick just outside. Cousins then hit the post with another header but it was all too late as Old Dons went on to deservedly win.

Greenacre said: “I’m proud of my players but silly early goals made it a difficult job to get back into the game.

“The last 30 minutes of the game was all Tydd and I cannot thank the lads enough for the effort they put in.”


Netherton B U/18 2

Spalding Ath U/18 1

Spalding failed in their attempt to win the league title on the last game of the season by going down to Netherton in difficult conditions.

This was Spalding’s final game as a team, some playing together for ten years at all age levels. It was an end of an era game for all concerned, and a fine performance by all.

Barring a mammoth win by Netherton in their last game, Spalding will be runners-up in their final league campaign.

Some timely tackles from Ash West and Jack Rowden prevented Netherton from taking the lead.

Netherton struck twice before Sam Burrell made a good save to deny them going 3-0 up.

Spalding started brightly in the second half and Jordan Hayes slipped a pass to Chip Wallace, whose shot was well saved by the keeper.

However, the next chance was taken. Good work down the right by James Halgarth set up Tom Price to slot home.

Netherton continued to threaten as Spalding pushed for the equaliser that would give them the title and Alex Lyon made an important goalline clearance that kept the margin to one.

Chip Wallace had a chance to equalise but hit the side netting, while at the other end Sam Burrell saved as a header hit the bar and came down to be cleared away.

As Spalding pressed, efforts from James Halgarth and Pierce Scourfield were well saved.

Spalding Ath U/16 4

Stamford U/16 2

SPALDING had a convincing win.

The first half saw Spalding goals by Ben Peppercorn, Jordan Haw and Declan Armstrong, with a Stamford free kick making the half-time score 3-1.

Soon after the break Stamford pulled it back to 3-2 with a spectacular free kick, but Guy Woods hit back for Spalding with a classy goal from outside the box.

Holbeach Utd Yellow U/15 4 Hungate U/15 1

Holbeach took a deserved lead after eight minutes.

Ash Hicks crossed into the danger area from the right where Matt Rose hooked the ball back to George Stainfield whose first effort was blocked by a defender but he fired home the loose ball.

Hungate were spurred into life and equalised just two minutes later.

With the breeze at their backs Holbeach looked more dangerous in the second half and regained the lead after 51 minutes.

The Hungate keeper fumbled a ball into the box from Craig Weightman and Stainfield pounced to score his and Yellow’s second goal of the game.

Holbeach all but sealed the win just eight minutes later. Kiran Bhondi did well to pick out Danny Wilshire, who fired a left foot effort into the roof of the net for 3-1.

Yellow rounded off the game with a fourth goal in the last minute.

A Stainfield corner was partly cleared by the Hungate defence but the ball fell to Chris Briggs who smashed home a half volley to score a well-deserved goal.

Holbeach Utd U/14 3

Leverington Blue U/14 1

Holbeach made hard work of this tie against a resilient and upbeat Leverington side.

After falling behind to a failed clearance which was well put away, Holbeach struggled to get a hold in the game.

Dom Uglow then scored either side of half time with two very similar well-taken strikes, chipping the keeper.

After a much-improved second half performance, Liam Lachasseigne calmly placed the ball into the bottom left of the net from 20 yards to wrap things up, thus consolidating their top three position in the league.

Man of the match: Uglow.

Mablethorpe U/13 0

Holbeach Utd U/13 9

Holbeach made it 15 wins out of 15 with a good first-half display in which they scored eight times.

Jordan Keeble and Declan Earth helped themselves to hat-tricks and Josh Cross scored two.

The second half was a bit lacklustre, with only Jordan Keeble managing to score.

Moorland Railway U/13 2

Young Dons U/13 1

YOUNG Dons couldn’t complete a double over a team they had already beaten 9-1.

Despite the ball being constantly in Moorlands’ half, Dons just couldn’t pick a way through the defence and the first half ended goalless.

Moorlands went 1-0 up early on in the second half when a quickly taken throw-in caught the visitors knapping and then doubled their lead through a crafty lob.

Sandall got one back with 15 minutes remaining, but despite increased pressure from Dons the Moorland defence remained strong.

Yaxley Yellows U/13 2

Spalding Ath U/13 3

After a scrappy, goalless first half, Sam Young struck through a crowded penalty area to give Spalding the lead.

Ryan Plant made some great saves but an unstoppable free kick saw Yaxley equalise.

Reagan Brown regained the lead for Spalding with a great solo effort after a determined run into the box.

Yaxley pushed for another equaliser but good defending from Chandler Edwards and Charlie Dhanji kept Spalding in the game.

Brown broke the offside trap and coolly slotted home when one-on-one with the keeper but Yaxley made it 3-2 with the last kick of the game.

Wasps U/12 6

Spalding Ath U/12 2

DESPITE Spalding starting really well, including brave keeper Connor Deaton taking the ball in his face to save a goal, they were soon 3-0 down.

Elliot Lea scored twice – including a fantastic individual goal – to keep Spalding in it, but Wasps scored three more times.

Sub keeper Elliot Kulleside played fantastically, Jordan Nickols played well on the wing, and Sam Boothe and Scott Britton defended well, backed up well by midfielder and captain George Smith.

March SS A U/11 1

Holbeach Utd U/11 5

Holbeach reached the Fenland and District League Cup final in style, but March put up a good fight in the first half.

Holbeach took the lead, with a good goal from right winger Josh Lawrence.

It became 1-1 after Holbeach keeper Josh Simpson pulled off a great save, but the rebound fell to the feet of a March player, who gladly poked the ball home from close range.

Cam Lee restored the lead before the break, with a great goal, bending the ball into an unguarded part of the net.

Holbeach stepped up their passing and further goals from Brandon England and Jamal Nyjan – adding another to his league top scorer tally – made it 4-1.

Freddie Dye finished off a fine Holbeach display with the fifth just before time.

Spalding Ath U/10 6

Crowland U/10 0

Spalding kept themselves top of the league with another fine win.

The first half was a bit scrappy until the impressive Charlie Ford found himself staring down on goal only for the keeper to parry his shot to the oncoming Kieron McConnell to put Athletic 1-0 up.

The second goal came shortly after when Ford was upended on the edge of the box. He brushed himself down and hammered a fierce shot into the top corner.

Second half was much the same with Spalding doing all the attacking. They went 3-0 up after McConnell fired in from close range.

Kyle Compton got in on the act with another close range effort after McConnell’s shot was parried. Alex Richardson made it 5-0 with a mazy run into area and shot into the bottom corner.

McConnell completed his hat-trick after following up a long range effort from Luke Williamson.

Hungate Rovers U/9 3

Holbeach Utd U/9 2

The young Tigers lost for the first time this season.

Hungate had the most first-half chances, but Holbeach’s Mikey Bailey took advantage of a mistake by the keeper to put them 1-0 up.

In the second half Hungate equalised through a penalty, but Holbeach regained the lead when Ewan McCracken’s corner was fired home by Joseph Rickerby.

Hungate equalised again from a free kick and Holbeach were unlucky when a frantic goal in the last couple of minutes of play denied them a draw.