FOOTBALL: Heron swoops for late winner

Have your say

Sleaford Town 2 (K Jones og, Tunstall pen) Deeping Rangers 3 (Battersby pen, Gilbert, Heron): Not a pretty game to watch on Tuesday, but another good result for Deeping.

For Rangers this was always going to be a potential bannana skin after their heroics in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Rangers lined up with three changes from the one which beat New Mills in the cup – Jackson, Tinkler and Mark Jones being replaced by Fenton, Julien and Burton-Jones.

Rangers took the game to their hosts and during one foray into the penalty area, Josh Moreman was brought down and Tony Battersby converted the resulting penalty. This despite strong Sleaford appeals for offside.

In truth, the opening period was pretty much one way traffic with Rangers making all the running. A curling effort from Gilbert went close to increasing the score, and Moreman, finding himself close in on goal, somehow contrived to bundle the ball into the arms of Lundberg in the Sleaford goal.

Then, on the half hour mark, with the rain drizzling down, Kris Jones, who seemed under no pressure, passed the ball back to Doughty in the Rangers goal, only to see the keeper miss his kick and allow the ball to roll into the goal.

In the time left, Moreman and Gilbert both had chances on goal, but the half ended even at 1-1

After five minutes of the second half, Gilbert made up for the earlier miss by scoring a well worked goal, and from then on Rangers were hammering at the home defence.

Matt Heron produced an excellent save from Lundberg and during an exciting goalmouth scramble, the Sleaford defence somehow cleared the ball off the line.

But Sleaford are never a team to just roll over, always providing tricky opposition, and on 75 minutes, a rare venture forward for them produced a penalty of their own, conceded by Weston. Tunstall scored the spot kick to make it 2-2.

A draw looked to be on the cards. But there is a good fighting quality about this season’s Rangers squad and instead of settling for parity with their hosts, they went seeking a winning goal.

And on 85 minutes they found it, Heron getting his head to the ball and curling it sweetly past the floundering keeper.

Rangers: Doughty, Evans, Fenton, K Jones, Julien (Tinkler), Weston, Gilbert, Burton-Jones, Battersby (M Evans), Heron, Moreman. Sub not used; Jackson.