FOOTBALL: Glen rues luck as Tigers are held

CORNER WOE: Robbie Relf thought he'd scored direct from a corner on Saturday.
CORNER WOE: Robbie Relf thought he'd scored direct from a corner on Saturday.
Have your say

S&L CORBY 1 HOLBEACH UNITED 1: Glen Maddison felt that the big decisions went against his side as Holbeach’s five-game winning streak in the UCL Premier Division was halted on Saturday.

All looked to be going to plan at Occupation Road when defender Joe Braithwaite put the Tigers ahead on 53 minutes.

But Corby’s Danny Pownall levelled 20 minutes from time to peg Maddison’s men back and put an end to Holbeach’s purple patch.

However, Maddison felt that his side were denied two clear penalties and also felt that Robbie Relf was denied a perfectly good goal direct from a corner.

To make matters worse, key frontman Tommy Treacher was sent off late on for two yellow cards.

“I’m a bit disappointed with a draw,” conceded the Holbeach boss. “We should really have put the game to bed by half time.

“In terms of penetration, we were as good as we’ve been all season. We had chance after chance, but missed too many. I thought we were on our way when Joe put us ahead, but they scored from their only real attack – albeit one that created three chances for them.

“In general I thought the referee did OK, but he got a few big calls wrong and it cost us dear.

“We had a clear penalty when ‘Treach’ was fouled well inside the box, but a free kick was given outside of the box. Robbie then scored direct from a corner, the ball was a good few feet over the line. But that wasn’t given.

“Then Ian Dunn was brought down in the box late on for what I thought was another clear penalty.

“A draw here isn’t the worst result, but it’s a shame to lose our winning run.”

Holbeach were dominant in the first period and rattled the woodwork early on when Tom Waumsley headed Luke Hollingworth’s corner onto the bar.

Treacher was then denied what looked a stone-wall penalty when the referee deemed he was fouled outside of the box. Waumsley worked the keeper again soon after, before hobbling off with a dead leg.

Braithwaite broke the deadlock early in the second period, but he too left the field with a hamstring injury. Former Lincoln City defender Ryan Leggett, signed on the morning of the match, replaced him.

Pownall pegged the Tigers back soon after, but their was a controversial end to the clash with Dunn denied a penalty, Relf’s ‘goal’ not being given and Treacher picking up what Maddison called two “harsh” yellows.

Next up for the Tigers is a Carter’s Park UCL Premier Division clash with rivals Boston Town tomorrow night (Wednesday, 7.45pm).

Holbeach welcome back Tom Sergeant and Nick Bishop, but Braithwaite and Waumsley are injury doubts.

Maddison’s side beat their rivals 2-0 in the reverse fixture last month, but the Boston-based boss is expecting a tougher test this time.

He added: “They’ve added a few – most notably Daryl Clare. He’ll bring no end of experience and ability.

“It’ll be a difficult one I think, but the lads need to keep plugging away.”

Tigers: Overton, Murrell, Warfield, Braithwaite (Leggett 62), Shipley, Law, Rothery, Sturman, Hollingworth (Relf 80), Waumsley (Dunn 40), Treacher.