FOOTBALL: Deadly Deeping wallop Wisbech

FLYING RYAN: Deeping ace Ryan Oliver (centre) netted inside a minute at Outgang Road.
FLYING RYAN: Deeping ace Ryan Oliver (centre) netted inside a minute at Outgang Road.
Have your say

DEEPING RANGERS 4 WISBECH TOWN 1: In-form Deeping jumped up to second in the UCL Premier Division with a stunning win over hotly-tipped Wisbech Town on Tuesday night.

Goals from Ryan Oliver (1), Mitch Griffiths (12), Matt Heron (30) and Ondre Odain (50) eased Rangers home, rendering Callum Reed’s late penalty as mere consolation.

It’s now three wins from four games for Tuncay Korkmaz’s men – but they now face an untimely two-and-a-half week wait for the next fixture at home to Sleaford on September 14.

Although frustrated by the fixture list, Deeping boss Korkmaz couldn’t hide his delight.

The Turkish tactician said: “It was our first local derby of the season and it’s pleasing to get such a good result. It’s just a shame that we have to wait so long for our next game.

“It’s early days, but I’m obviously pleased with the start we have made. It’s also good to see the lads finding their fitness and form now.

“I wouldn’t write Wisbech off, though. Every side has an off day and I think they were a little low on morale after Saturday’s loss at Huntingdon.

“Equally, I wouldn’t say we are title contenders off the back of the win. But we are well placed to have another good season.

“The main positive for me is the amount of goals we are scoring and how many different players are getting them.”

Fresh off the back of his Saturday double against Wellingborough Town, striker Oliver wasted little time in getting the ball rolling.

The big striker met a Griffiths cross with a fine far-post header to put Rangers ahead inside 60 seconds.

Roles were reversed for the second goal, with Oliver setting up Griffiths to fire home number two on 12 minutes, via a deflection off Adam Millson.

James Doughty was forced to deny Jon Fairweather and James Tricks as Wisbech searched for a reply, but Rangers raced into a 3-0 half-time lead when Heron buried a rebound after Tom Roberts denied Oliver on the half hour.

Odain got in on the act five minutes into the second period when he finished off a Heron cross at the back post, before Reed completed the scoring from the spot 20 minutes from time.

Rangers: Doughty, Flack, Parker, Burton-Jones, Ashton, Forbes, Griffiths, Ginty, Oliver (Beck), Heron (Treacher), Odain (Gilbert).