FOOTBALL: Boss lauds Deeping’s firepower

Have your say

DEEPING RANGERS 3 WELLINGBOROUGH TOWN 0: A devastating spell of three goals in 23 first-half minutes fired Deeping to their first home win on the UCL Premier Division season on Saturday.

Ryan Oliver’s classy double put the hosts in command at a rain-soaked Outgang Road, before a typical Matt Heron header cemented all three points for Rangers.

DOUBLE TOP: Ryan Oliver guides the first of his brilliant brace into the top corner on 17 minutes. Photo by NIKKI GRIFFIN

DOUBLE TOP: Ryan Oliver guides the first of his brilliant brace into the top corner on 17 minutes. Photo by NIKKI GRIFFIN

Both sides had their chances to add to the scoring, but Tuncay Korkmaz’s men were full value for their victory over a Wellingborough side that had plenty to offer going as an attacking force.

Deeping boss Tuncay Korkmaz said: “I thought that Wellingborough were much the better side for 15 minutes, but once we got the goal we got ourselves on top.

“At this stage of the season no fixtures are easy, so it was important to get the three points. If I’m honest, we played better at Gorleston the week before and got nothing.

“But I’m really encouraged by our firepower, we’re scoring a lot of goals and have great options. Ryan Oliver came in from the cold today and really took his chance well.

“We’ve got great options in attack and obviously it’s going to be hard to keep them all happy – but that’s my job.

“I was also important that we kept our first clean sheet of the season. We’ve got a tough home game with Wisbech next (tonight, 7.45pm), so that’ll stand us in good stead.”

The Doughboys started much the brighter with Jonny Mitchell and Chris Davies both firing straight at James Doughty from distance.

The visitors then piled on the pressure with a series of corners and set-plays – but they were caught cold by a sweeping Deeping break on 17 minutes. Having just defended a corner, the hosts worked the ball forward to man-of-the-match Mitch Griffiths, who beat his man and delivered expertly for Oliver.

There was still plenty to do, but the big striker calmly half-volleyed a sweet strike into the top right corner.

Alex Beck then saw a far-post effort stopped superbly by James Brassington, before Griffiths had a close-range effort blocked following a smart lay-off from Oliver.

Wellingborough almost levelled instantly, but Doughty pulled off a stunning save to tip Ben Foster’s curling 25-yard drive around the post.

Deeping were now beginning to dominate and it wasn’t long before Oliver delivered again. He took a high ball superbly well on his chest, before shrugging off his man and firing a low effort into the corner off the outside of his boot.

Chances were now arriving almost at will, with Beck volleying the best of them wide from close range following another Griffiths delivery.

Dan Flack was also close with a fierce drive from the edge of the box, before the hosts effectively put the game to bed five minutes before the break. Scott Ginty, playing in central midfield, delivered an in-swinging corner from the left, allowing Heron to power home a close-range header.

After such a lively opening period, the second half was something of a damp squib.

Beck did come within a whisker of making it 4-0 on 49 minutes when he latched onto a Doughty clearance and dinked past the keeper, but his strike was kicked off the line.

It was very much job already done for the hosts though, as they closed out the win with minimal fuss – propelling themselves up to fourth in the process.

Deeping now face a much tougher test, with Wisbech Town the visitors at Outgang Road tonight (7.45pm).

Rangers: Doughty, Flack, Parker, Burton-Jones, Ashton, Forbes, Griffiths, Ginty, Oliver (Treacher 73), Heron (Young 78), Beck (Odain 67). Not used: Gilbert, Tinkler.