Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

No luck for Bourne Town after Joachim 'equaliser' is ruled out by referee

Bourne Town came close to picking up their first league point in seven matches, only for a Julian Joachim double to ruled out by the referee.

After going behind to a goal just before half time from ex-Lincoln City winger Nathan Arnold, Joachim equalised early in the second half after latching onto a through-ball from Dan Wilson.

But when Joachim managed to score what he thought was his second after knocking the ball out of the hands of Melton keeper Quinn Johnson just as he was about to take a goal kick, referee Gary Mansfield disallowed the goal and booked the experienced Wakes' forward.

A winner for the visitors from Nathan Benjamin with 15 minutes of normal time to go only rubbed salt into Bourne's wounds and left them still searching for their first win in seven weeks.

Wakes manager Simon Daws said: "I thought we deserved a point and that was what most people thought who I spoke to after the game, including the opposition.

"We were a little better than we've been before, the players worked really hard against a very good side with a big budget and players like Nathan Arnold.

"We had to be at our best to compete with them and, to be fair, we competed with them throughout the game.

"The referee was very quick to get his yellow card out on quite a few occasions, not giving the players a second chance when they put in tackles on a difficult, wet surface.

"I don't think he gave anyone the benefit of the doubt, he didn't let the game flow and he was pulling people up when he could have let the game flow.

"Julian Joachim had a second goal disallowed which we were disappointed about because we could have come out of the game with a point.

"The goalkeeper was throwing the ball up and kicking, so Julian nicked it off him on one occason and put it in the net.

"But Julian was yellow-carded by the referee who didn't even go to his linesman.

Bourne Town manager Simon Daws and assistant Tom Crozier.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG-131119-086TW.
Bourne Town manager Simon Daws and assistant Tom Crozier.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG-131119-086TW.

"Melton's second goal hit the bar and bounced down, but the linesman didn't flag for a goal at first.

"Then the referee went over and the flag went up after which several of our players went over to the linesman.

"We feel aggrieved because a lot of effort went into our game and we were in it the whole time, pushing them right up until the end.

"But we didn't get the result or point that we deserved."

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More