Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Moulton Harrox defeat Eunice Huntingdon in Peterborough Senior Cup clash

A clinical display of finishing helped Moulton Harrox win the clash of the two previously unbeaten sides in their Peterborough Senior Cup group game on Saturday.

Joe Townsend struck twice with Ian Bradbury and Ash Coddington also on target as Harrox ran out 4-1 winners against Eunice Huntingdon.

The victory allowed Harrox to leap-frog their beaten hosts and regain the top spot in Group A following the withdrawal from the competition of ICA Sports who Moulton had beaten 4-0 in their last outing a fortnight ago.

Joe Townsend struck twice for Moulton Harrox. (46793983)
Joe Townsend struck twice for Moulton Harrox. (46793983)

They had to withstand some strong pressure on Saturday though to contain their lively Division One hosts on an artificial surface at Hinchingbrooke School.

Assistant boss Bobby Patterson commented: "They were a quick and sharp side going forward which we expected and they were obviously used to playing on a 3G pitch which they tried to utilise.

"They came out of the traps quickly and we were on the back foot in the early stages but that woke us up a bit.

"We scored two quick goals which allowed us to take control and our finishing was the difference between the sides."

After Eunice had enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges, they were stung by a quick-fire goal double.

A long ball over the top from Alex Lyon saw Townsend win the race for the ball with the home goalkeeper who he lobbed to break the deadlock.

A second Harrox goal then followed four minutes later with an almost identical ball releasing Bradbury to score.

The message at the half-time break was for Harrox to keep a tight grip on proceedings at the start of the second period.

However, straight from kick-off, Eunice burst forward and a shot from 20 yards hit the inside of the post and went into the Harrox net within seconds of the restart.

The goal lifted Eunice and they enjoyed a strong spell for the next 20 minutes but Harrox were able to withstand the home side's pressure.

A mistake in the home rearguard was then punished by Townsend to restore Harrox's two-goal lead before Coddington sealed their success when he converted following a scramble from a corner.

Patterson added: "It was probably the right scoreline, but it didn't reflect how hard the game was.

"We were clinical and our players knew where the net was which is good because we are finding a way to win at the moment.

"We have entered this competition to win it because there is no point turning up if you don't want to do that.

"It's always been our mentality to win every game and we will always try and take it as professionally as we can and that it why we have been so successful over the years."

Pattterson was also full of praise for two-goal marksman Townsend and Lyon who stepped up from the reserves with Andy Law unavailable.

He said: "Alex did really well. He's been training every week and has been playing in the friendlies.

"He's had to wait for his chance but he did really well and was superb. He set up the first goal for Joe Townsend who was just phenomenal.

"You always know what you're going get from Joe with his work-rate but he was on a different level on Saturday."

Harrox now travel to Peterborough Northern Star Reserves for their next match on Saturday where a victory will secure their qualification from the group stage into the quarter-finals.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More