Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Welland Yacht Club members race in the Munson Cup

More news, no ads


Although numbers were slightly depleted due to the Easter holiday, the members that joined Welland Yacht Club’s Sunday’s racing were met with ideal conditions.

Races one and two were for the Munson Cup and, for the first of these, the wind was relatively light with only the occasional gust.

Due to the wind direction competitors started with a short beat down river before turning for a long reach to the bottom of the course, which was to be completed twice.

Andy Prior
Andy Prior

A number of boats were hanging back as they were worried about being over the line at the start.

This allowed Andy Prior, in a Laser, to get the best start - although Gerri van Heren in the larger Phantom was soon catching. Next was Tom Bell in his Laser followed by Andy Agar in an OK.

Gail Follington was doing well to stay in contention in the much slower Comet.

Although the on-the-water lead changed a few times, it was Prior who took line honours from van Heren.

On corrected time, Prior was first from Gail Follington then Bell, followed by Arden Follington in a Laser Radial, then Agar, van Heren, Alistair Mitchell (Laser Radial) - with Eric Murray bringing up the rear sailing a Laser for the first time.

By the second race the wind had filled in, allowing a slightly longer course.

Tom Bell
Tom Bell

With the wind blowing across the river at the start good timing was essential, and Prior almost cut it too fine having to deviate into the reeds to prevent him from being over the line. In the end, he crossed just after the gun.

Van Heren got the best start, pulling out a slight lead from Prior with Bell just behind.

These three boats rounded the bottom mark in that order and remained this way until the finish.

Agar and Arden Follington fought their own battle slightly ahead of Gail Follington and then Mitchell.

Once handicaps were calculated Prior took the win from Bell, then van Heren, Gail Follington, Arden Follington, Mitchell, then Agar.

The final races in the Munson Cup take place on Sunday with all to play for, with both Prior and Bell having two wins apiece.

The third race of the day was the continuation of the Afternoon Points Series, but by then the wind had increased noticeably and made for challenging sailing.

The number of starters had dropped to only four, and it was Prior again who got the early lead - but this time Agar stayed in contention until the second lap, where the strong wind got the better of him at the Gybe resulting in a time consuming capsize.

Gail Follington also retired mid-race, which resulted in Prior taking his third win of the day from Mitchell, then Agar and Arden Follington.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More