Write to Audit Commission

Have your say

I refer to the numerous letters you have published from individuals complaining about South Holland District Council’s behaviour concerning the Red Lion Quarter.

Can I draw your and their attention to every council taxpayers’ right, as taxpayers, to bring the matter to the attention of the Audit Commission and ask that organisation to investigate?

Each financial year (which runs from the beginning of April in one year to the end of March in the following year), every council is required to have their expenditure, in effect, “approved” by the Audit Commission and the Audit Commission has powers to ‘bring a council to account’ if the commission, after investigation, considers there has been unjustifiable expenditure of (council) taxpayers’ money.

For the benefit of your correspondents, the details of who to write to are: Tony Crawley, Engagement Lead, Audit Commission, 7 Lewis Court, Grove Park, Enderby, Leicestershire, LE19 1SU.