AN elderly woman and her dog have died in a house fire at Sutterton.
Firefighters from Kirton were called to the detached bungalow in Dowdyke Road shortly before 7.30am on Thursday after a neighbour discovered the woman’s body.
The 80-year-old has not yet been named. Her dog was found curled up in the corner of the room.
The fire started in the lounge, which the woman also used as a bedroom, and was out by the time the fire brigade arrived.
Station manager for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Pete Wiles said the fire was confined to the lounge as the door and windows were all closed.
Mr Wiles confirmed the cause of the fire was accidental but was unable to say how it started.
The woman, who is believed to have been housebound, was found by a neighbour who called round to feed her dog and cat. The cat was not hurt in the blaze.
Mr Wiles said: “We are unable to determine exactly when the fire started as the room was cold and clear of smoke when the neighbour arrived.”
A joint fire and police investigation is under way to determine the circumstances but the woman’s death is not being treated as suspicious.