Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Moulton Seas End residents want answers over location of new dyke to prevent their homes being flooded




Villagers who fear their gardens will be flooded again this winter have called for answers over the location of a new dyke.

Moulton Parish Council was told that South Holland Internal Drainage Board will be digging a new dyke in Moulton Seas End after all of the land owners – apart from parish councillor Carl Wright – had agreed for it to run on their fields.

Coun Wright told Tuesday’s meeting that he will be funding drainage pipes into his paddock, which sits behind the homes in Roman Bank, but had asked the drainage board to pay to move his fence.

Tricia Day in her flooded garden on Roman Bank, Moulton Seas End (44257333)
Tricia Day in her flooded garden on Roman Bank, Moulton Seas End (44257333)

In February, Roman Bank residents experienced flooding in their gardens.

The drainage board says the dyke will not totally solve the problem due to a blocked pipe in Seas End Road and residents’ soakaways.

Residents Tricia Day, Rosemary Frost and Charles Briggs went to the meeting to ask for answers.

IN: Anthony Casson (9565220)
IN: Anthony Casson (9565220)

South Holland district councillor Anthony Casson, who sits on the drainage board, said the dyke is going as far as land owners have given permission with ‘no compensation involved’.

He said: “It is going all the way around and will take in a bit of the playing field at bottom and taper off towards the top of the entrance where it goes around and then it will stop at Carl Wright’s field.”

Coun Casson said that it was not the drainage board’s responsibility to drain farmers’ land.

Carl Wright (47868284)
Carl Wright (47868284)

He later added: “The drainagae board have gone above and beyond in what they have done and will be doing . It will cost the drainage board an awful lot of money.”

Coun Wright told the meeting that he had been chasing the drainage board for a plan of the siting of the dyke and that he would have to give up land as the fence would need to be moved by 3m.

He said: “I have asked them to pay to move the fence.”

Coun Wright went on to say that he was paying to put drainage in the field which would join up to the dyke.

Coun Wright said: “I have proved my land is drained and it has got to where the drainage board charge me to take it from me.”

He also said: “It (winter) is not going to be as bad as last year as we have flow from the land to the dyke.”

Mrs Day told the meeting: “I’d just like to know what’s happening. We get flooded over winter.”

South Holland Drainage Board says it will start work in digging the 570m dyke in the middle of June and has confirmed that all but one land owner has agreed.

Catchment engineer Karl Vines said the new dyke will discharge into Ugly Bridges Drain.

He also said that a pipeline which goes under Seas End Road is blocked. Mr Vines said that the new dyke will help with the flooding as the water will have more than one outlet.

He said: “The residents have got to appreciate even with this thing working in tip top condition, it is not going to completely solve the problem.

“It has been 50 years since they (resident’s soakaway pipes) were put in and everything deteriorates.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More