Thursday, 4.30pm: ENGINEERS working on a gas leak in Whaplode expect the main road running through the village to be reopened shortly.
National Grid workers have been on the A151 since just before 10am today after a bridge serving a private bungalow collapsed and damaged a gas main.
The medium-pressure main was leaking gas, leading to emergency services closing the road and imposing a 50-metre cordon around the site.
National Grid spokesman Sarah Wilcox said: “No one was evacuated but some residents chose to leave their homes. There would have been quite a strong smell of gas.”
Thursday, 12pm: SEVERAL houses have been evacuated by emergency services due to a suspected fractured gas pipe in Whaplode.
It’s understood the incident was reported at about 9.34am this morning and the A151 running through the village has been closed.
Engineers are currently working at the scene.
Further details to follow.