UPDATE 3.30pm : Fire in firm’s industrial oven at Holbeach St Marks was sparked by thunderstorm

Fire and rescue news.
Fire and rescue news.
Have your say

A fire in an industrial oven at Bakkavor was triggered by a power failure caused by last night’s thunderstorm.

Firefighters from two stations were called to the company’s site in Sluice Road, Holbeach St Marks.

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue revealed the thunderstorm caused a power failure, which meant the conveyor belt stopped and created a back-up in the oven.

A statement from the company confirmed there was “a very small isolated fire”, saying it was quickly dealt with by Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue.

The spokesman added: “The area was confirmed safe and work quickly resumed as normal. No one was injured.”

• Firefighters from Kirton and Long Sutton were called out to a fire in an industrial oven at Holbeach St Marks last night.

The Sluice Road firm’s on-site system extinguished the blaze.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus helped ventilate the building.

Fans were also used.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue says the cause of the blaze was accidental.

No one was injured.

The drama started just before 7.45pm.