Thugs joked during ‘stomach churning attack’ on two friends

Have your say

Three men laughed and joked as they kicked a man unconscious in a street attack.

The violence was carried out in the early hours as victim Richard Weston and his friend Dean Bunn were walking home with their wives along Bridge Road, Sutton Bridge.

David Outterside, prosecuting at Lincoln Crown Court, said that as they reached the entrance to Railway Lane they were approached by a group of up to eight men led by Lewis Downham.

Downham punched Dean Bunn to the head and as he went to the floor he was kicked and punched.

Mr Outterside said: “Richard Weston tried to intervene. The attacking group them turned their attention to him.

“Dwayne Mears punched Mr Weston first and then the two co-accused joined in.”

“Mr Weston was knocked to the ground and was kicked while he lay unconscious on the ground. They took it in turns to kick him. All were in it as much as each other.

“Tina Weston threw herself on her husband to save his life and to stop them kicking him.

“A bystander described them as laughing and joking throughout. They seemed to be loving it.

“One of them, who has not been identified, after finishing kicking Mr Weston said ‘I can’t kick any more. I’m tired’.”

The attackers made off but were arrested later.

Mr Weston was left with his face “pulverised”. He was taken to hospital where he was treated for a fractured eye socket, a bleeding nose and swelling and bruising to his head.

Dwayne Mears (30), of Sutton Road, Leverington; Lewis Downham (24), of Railway Lane, Sutton Bridge; and Shane Hurst (24), of Bridge Road, Sutton Bridge, each admitted affray in the early hours of 28 May.

Judge Sean Morris said: “You pleaded guilty to one of the worst affrays it has been my misfortune to see. This was the most stomach churning attack. What happened on that night beggars belief.”

Philip Farr, for Mears, said he had a good work ethic and had been doing his best to stay out of trouble.

Vedrana Pehar, for Downham, said he had difficulty dealing with anger management, adding: “He describes himself as being ashamed of his actions.” Lawrence Bruce, for Hurst, said he was not the instigator and has since shown remorse.

Mears was jailed for two and a half years. Downham was given two years and Hurst received 21 months.