Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Three year groups at Spalding and Holbeach schools are self-isolating after positive tests




Three year groups at two schools have been forced to self-isolate due to five students testing positive for COVID-19.

This week, parents of students in Years 7 and 8 at University Academy Holbeach (UAH) and Year 11at Spalding High School have been asked to keep their children at home due to positive coronavirus tests.

It has been confirmed that three students have tested positive for the virus at Spalding High School and two at the UAH.

Michele Anderson, headmistress of Spalding High School.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG101116-213TW. (3164750)
Michele Anderson, headmistress of Spalding High School.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG101116-213TW. (3164750)

High School head teacher Michele Anderson said: “We have been notified of three students who have tested positive for COVID-19.

“The students are in Year 11 and the entire year group hasbeen instructed to self-isolate for 14 days and follow the government ‘Stay At Home’ guidance. Swift action from the school last night meant the year group had already been instructed to stay at home today (Wednesday) whilst we investigated the connectivity between the cases.

“Further measures taken by the school, including an overnight COVID deep clean, have ensured that no other year groups or bubbles are affected and the school is open as normal for other year groups.

“We will continue to work proactively with the health authorities and follow Government advice throughout the pandemic and will do whatever is necessary to support the national lockdown and drive transmission and the R rate down.”

UAH executive principal Steve Baragwanath said: “On Monday evening, the academy was informed that one of our Year 8 pupils had tested positive for COVID-19. Unfortunately, we were then informed of a second positive test, for a Year 7 pupil, on Tuesday.

“Workingwith the local health protection team and following Government guidance, the decision was taken to send Year 7 and 8 pupils home for a period of isolation.”

Mr Baragwanath confirmed that neither of the pupils affected have been in school since last week nor do they use school transport.

Pupils in these groups are now ‘remote learning’ and have been able to participate in the live, streamed lessons delivered by their teachers which began yesterday (Wednesday).

He added: “As a precaution, the site was thoroughly cleaned by our site team – as it is during each day and evening - and ‘fogged’ with a sterilising mist overnight, to reduce the chances of any transmission of the illness.

“I would like to thank the families of Year 7 pupils for their patience and understanding when their children were picked up on Tuesday afternoon – this helped enormously and ensured that sending them home was a smooth and safe process. I would also like to thank the families of Year 8 pupils for their understanding.

“I would like to thank the staff for all of their continued hard work and congratulate them in the way that they have enabled these changes to be made so quickly.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More