Tanning salon sex pest has prison sentence reduced

Court news
Court news
Share this article
Have your say

A sex pest from Spalding who petrified a tanning salon worker, who believed she was going to be raped, has had his jail term slashed by top judges.

Graduate Matthew Jones (37), of Aldrin Close, had been a customer at the salon for six months when he molested the woman, London’s Appeal Court heard.

After a tanning session, he walked past the woman in a corridor, took hold of her arm and pulled her back towards a room, saying ‘get back 

Jones pinned the terrified victim against a wall with both hands. She struggled to get away, kicking and shouting at him.

He ‘failed to succeed in kissing her’ but the side of his face touched her head.

Jones ‘suddenly’ stopped the attack and walked out as if nothing had happened.

His victim was left ‘crying hysterically, petrified and having difficulty breathing’.

She described a ‘frightening look in his eyes’ and said she ‘thought she was about to be raped given his aggressive manner’.

Her self-confidence has suffered badly since the time of the attack, Lord Justice Treacy said.

Jones was convicted of sexual assault and was jailed for 21 months at Lincoln Crown Court on April 8.

His lawyers argued that his jail term was far too tough and ought to be cut.

Jones was ‘a graduate with no previous convictions, a ‘good work ethic and employment record’, the court heard.

But there was ‘clearly another side to his character’. Analysis of his phone showed internet searches for videos of forcible sex and rape.

A probation officer’s report pointed to an interest in making ‘unwilling females participate in sexual activity’.

The victim was ‘particularly vulnerable’, said Lord Justice Treacy.

“It is clear to us this victim was targeted in advance,” added the judge, who was sitting with Mr Justice Warby and Judge John Bevan QC.

It was a ‘frightening sexual assault which led her to fear she was about to be raped’ and deserved an immediate jail term.

But the judge ruled: “We have come to the conclusion that the sentence passed was somewhat too long.”

He pointed to the ‘fact that the actual physical contact of a sexual nature was limited’.

Jones’s jail term was reduced to 15 months.