Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Suicide verdict: Long Sutton man died five days after being found hanging in town park

A Long Sutton man troubled by relationship, gambling and work issues took his own life, an inquest has heard.

Robert Lochnicki died in hospital, five days after being found hanging in a town park.

The hearing at Boston Coroner’s Court yesterday (Thursday) was told that Mr Lochnicki had separated from his partner that morning and, he claimed, had subsequently lost £2,000 in a bookmaker’s.

The 29-year-old, of Anfield Road, was found by Elaine Fisher in the park in West Street, which she was visiting with her daughter and grandchildren.

Mrs Fisher phoned 999 and, with the help of passers-by, managed to bring down Mr Lochnicki. He was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn and his partner Alexandra Grseyszczyk was rushed there by police on blue lights. Mr Lochnicki died from his injuries on June 12 last year.

In a statement to the inquest, Ms Grseyszczyk – the mother of his two children – said the couple had separated twice before. Mr Lochnicki had been troubled about the death of his father in Poland in 2013 and she knew he gambled at the bookmaker and online. He was also bothered about a demotion from his managerial position at work due to his drinking and felt workmates were making fun of him.

On June 6 he returned home from a night shift at 7am and later went out. When he returned at 3pm Ms Grseyszczyk could tell he’d been drinking and asked him why when he was due back at work at 7pm.

She said: “He said he was drinking because he was stressed and was going to call in sick and not go to work. We argued and he said he was leaving.”

Mr Lochnicki left the following morning at 9am with a backpack. Ms Grseyszczyk later saw him in Long Sutton town centre and he told her he wanted to come home but she refused.

At lunchtime he returned to the house and was denied entry, before giving his mobile phone to Ms Grseyszczyk and leaving.

At 2pm, friend and former neighbour Allan Hamilton-Goya went to the house after Mr Lochnicki had given him a letter to give to Mr Lochnicki’s mother and had stated that he wanted to kill himself. A short while later police arrived at Ms Grseyszczyk’s with the news that Mr Lochnicki had been found in the park.

The letter did not mention wanting to kill himself but area coroner Paul Smith said he was satisfied that it was Mr Lochnicki’s intention and returned a conclusion of suicide.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More