Home   News   Article

Spalding residents: 'We're fighting on to save our homes from the bulldozers'




Residents are fighting on to save their homes from demolition as formal planning applications have been submitted for the northern and southern ends of Spalding Western Relief Road.

Nine family homes on Bourne Road could be flattened through a county council plan to switch the line of the middle section of the road.

Peaceful protests are planned outside South Holland District Council offices on Monday and Tuesday when residents will have 10-minute, one-to-one meetings with county and district officials.

Residents are supported by MP Sir John Hayes, who has spoken of his outrage at the way they found out that their homes could be bulldozed.

MP Sir John Hayes and Coun Angela Newton with residents outside homes threatened by bulldozers. (090319-3)
MP Sir John Hayes and Coun Angela Newton with residents outside homes threatened by bulldozers. (090319-3)

Some learned the news at county council drop in sessions while most where alerted by district and county councillor Angela Newton, who dropped leaflets through their doors.

Sir John met Coun Newton and residents on Saturday and again pledged his support for a route that doesn't see homes demolished.

Coun Newton said: "We showed him various maps and correspondence and he was concerned because he thought that Route 2A - which crossed Bourne Road and Horseshoe Road without the need to demolish people's homes - was still the preferred route.

"He said he could recall consultation meetings being held several years ago at The Red Lion Quarter and had not been advised that Route 2A had been set aside."

Bourne Road resident Catherine Roberts said it is "disappointing and disconcerting" to see the county council planning applications.

She said: "The route previously agreed closest to town does not naturally marry up with the proposed curving southern plan, which leads us to believe the middle section has been drawn but we are being kept in the dark.

"After all it is only nine families' lives they are destroying."

Residents have launched an e-petition in a bid to change the route to one that "does not necessitate the bulldozing and destruction of family homes.

Anyone who wishes to sign can visit http://lincolnshire.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionListDisplay.aspx?bcr=1

* There will be a pubic meeting starting at 1pm on Saturday at The Vista, Spalding, so residents can discuss the effects of the relief road in the Fern Drive and Vernatt's areas.

A county council planning application seeks consent for a new single carriageway from the B1356 Spalding Road and Enterprise Way to Vernatt's Sustainable Urban Extension (new housing) incorporating the B1356, a bridge over the railway line, and a priority junction into Vernatt's Sustainable Urban Extension.

A bridge over the railway line also features in plans for a bridge over the railway line for the southern end of the route.

The plan is to have a single carriageway from the B1172 Spalding Common to Holland Park Sustainable Urban Extension.

We revealed news of the demolition threat to residents' homes in

February, when a man of 85, Don Churchman, revealed losing his home would kill him.

Earlier this month we reported on Sir John's outrage over the way residents discovered their homes were under threat.

The MP also joined residents when they mounted a placard protest outside their homes.

Soon after learning the news, Coun Newton called a public meeting so residents could air their views.


More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More