Home   News   Article

'We're left in limbo and can't plan for the future'




Uncertainty over Spalding Western Relief Road is blighting house sales in Bourne Road and has seen residents cancelling home-improvements worth thousands.

Some are having sleepless nights, according to resident Catherine Roberts, who is in tears when she speaks about the project.

The county council claims it doesn't have the cash to build the £100million link from Spalding Common to Pinchbeck Road, and it could be "a decade or more" before work starts.

Frank and Catherine designed and built their own home and learned last week it could be demolished. (SG190219-012TW)
Frank and Catherine designed and built their own home and learned last week it could be demolished. (SG190219-012TW)

But Catherine says residents could learn about compulsory purchase orders from next week to five years' time.

She said: "We can't live our lives in fear for such an indefinite period."

The Roberts and neighbour Richard Holland are partly pinning their hopes on a council U-turn because protected species - grass snakes and water voles - live in the River Westlode at the bottom of their gardens.

Richard recently spent £8,5000 on solar roof panels on the home where he and his wife raised three children and planned to end their days.

Richard Holland had planned to keep his family home until the end of his days. (SG-190219-014TW)
Richard Holland had planned to keep his family home until the end of his days. (SG-190219-014TW)

"If I had known all this, I wouldn't have spent it," said Richard, who has axed plans for a new kitchen.

Another resident, who asked not to be named, is cancelling her new conservatory.

The resident claimed the council told her a decision to opt for one of two routes intersecting Bourne Road will be made next week despite a consultation running until March 8.

The "protected corridor" for the route of the relief road appeared in the draft South East Lincolnshire Local Plan in January 2016.

Only two months ago, two potential routes within that corridor were identified by the county council - both intersect Bourne Road and whichever one is chosen will see homes demolished.

Darren Long and wife Sarah moved into a new semi-detached property 18 months ago, and are devastated their dream home could be bulldozed.

A decision notice giving planning consent for these semi-detached homes was issued on December 29, 2015.
A decision notice giving planning consent for these semi-detached homes was issued on December 29, 2015.

A decision notice giving consent to build the semis was issued by South Holland District Council (SHDC) on December 29, 2015.

On September 22, 2016 - nine months after the protected corridor was published - SHDC issued a decision notice consenting to changes in the previously approved plans for the semis.

Coun Richard Davies, executive councillor for county highways, says there is no money to build the road and it could "potentially take a decade or more before we are in a position to start".

He pointed out that formal adoption of the local plan (which has now happened) would "prevent any future development that could be potentially impacted by the road".



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More