SPALDING FIRE UPDATE: Firefighters to return to Abbey Recruitment this evening

0
Have your say

Firefighters will return to Spalding’s Abbey Recruitment this evening (Monday) to carry out a safety inspection.

Three fire engines were called out when an electrical fault sparked a fire at the premises.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

Smoke was seen escaping from the roof tiles of the building in Abbey Path at around 8.30am.

Staff from the Lincolnshire Free Press and Spalding Guardian raised the alarm before leaving their building just a few feet away from the scene of the blaze.

Police sealed roads in Sheep Market and Spring Gardens as firefighters tackled the flames.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue were on the scene for around two hours.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

Abbey Recruitment and the adjoining Polish Education Centre were unoccupied at the time the fire started.

Both premises were left without electricity due to the blaze.

Polish Education Centre boss Diana Gajek said: “It looks like there’s an electrical fault somewhere by the (electricity) meter.

“One of our customers rang me at 9am to ask us if our offices were burnt.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

The fire at Abbey Recruitment.

“I was here at 9.30am and the fire service was already here.

“We’re out of business for about two days because we have no electricity at all.”

Firefighters used a hosereel and extinguishers. Ladders were also used as firefighters removed tiles to tackle the fire in the roof space.

Fire and Rescue watch manager Paul Barkway said: “Having arrived on the scene and taken the decision to evacuate the nearby office blocks, the crews worked to contain the fire whilst waiting for the arrival of Western Power.

“Once the electricity had been turned off, allowing the crews to work safely, hose reels and extinguishers were utilised to put out the fire completely. Roof tiles were also removed to allow ventilation of the building.

“A further inspection will be carried out this evening before the property is handed back to its owner.”

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said the fire caused severe damage to electrical units in a store room. No one was injured.

Emilia Bil, of Abbey Recruitment, said: “Two of our drivers called me and said ‘your office is on fire’.

“I got here at about 9.30am and was told that the firefighters had to come through the Polish Education Centre to get upstairs.

“I was a little bit stressed when I came here first but now I’m all right. I don’t know what the damage is because we’re not allowed upstairs.

“We’ll have to wait for the firefighters to let us know when things will get back to normal.”

Staff from the Free Press and Spalding Guardian were allowed to return to work at about 10.30am.

Reporter Lynne Harrison said: “At about 8.30am I was on our third floor, which overlooks the roof, and smoke was escaping from the gaps between the roof tiles. I shouted to one of my advertising colleagues and she immediately dialled 999.

“All of the staff left our building because we’re only about 6ft away from Abbey Recruitment.

“The firefighters did a fantastic job to contain the fire and stop it spreading.”

• 1.18pm: This morning’s blaze at Abbey Recruitment in Spalding has caused severe damage to electrical units in a store room.Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue were on the scene for around two hours.

Smoke could be seen coming from the roof of the building at around 8.30am and staff from the Lincolnshire Free Press and Spalding Guardian raised the alarm before leaving their building just a few feet away from the scene of the blaze.

It’s believed Abbey Recruitment and the adjoining Polish education centre have lost their electricity supply.

Three fire engines were on the scene at firefighters used a hosereel and extinguishers to put out the fire.

Firefighters using ladders also removed roof tiles from Abbey Recruitment to help tackle the flames.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue service have said the cause was an electrical fault.

• 9.20am: A fire has broken out in the roof of a building in the town centre this morning (Monday).

The fire is at the Abbey Recruitment Centre and three fire engines are currently on the scene.

The road has been closed off at The Crescent and Sheep Market.

Nearby businesses have also been evacuated - including the Spalding Guardian.