South Holland residents should check if they are affected by NHS low income scheme payments

editorial image
Have your say

There has been an error in the payments made to some NHS low income scheme claimants.

The error affects a small number of claims. The NHS is working to identify people who were affected and to make a payment to them.

You may be entitled to a payment if you applied to the NHS low income scheme between October 2003 and September 2008, and all of the following apply to you:

• you or your partner were aged over 60, and

• you or your partner were registered blind, were ‘signed off’ by your doctor as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks, or were receiving Disability Living Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance or Attendance Allowance, and

• you were issued with a partial help certificate, called HC3, which set out how much you had to pay towards NHS dental, optical, travel to receive treatment, wigs and fabric support costs, and

• you then paid NHS charges or costs for any of the above while the HC3 certificate was in force.

You’re not affected by this and can’t claim a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• you were issued with a HC2 certificate for full help with health costs

• you applied to the low income scheme before October 2003 or after September 2008

• you met the eligibility criteria and received a HC3 certificate but didn’t pay any NHS charges or costs while it was in force.

If you think you’re affected, you can apply for a payment by calling 0300 330 1344.

You’ll need to confirm that you applied to the NHS low income scheme during the affected period and that you paid NHS healthcare costs at that time.

You’ll be sent an application form which you need to return by March 31, 2015.

• You can find more information on the NHS Business Services Authority website –

The NHS low income scheme provides help with health costs for people who are on low incomes but don’t qualify for any other help.