Deepings fire sparks calls for South Holland residents to dispose of batteries correctly.
Discarded batteries have sparked a number of fires at waste transfer stations which has prompted calls for residents to dispose of them properly.
South Holland District Council is calling on people to use battery collection points rather than putting used batteries in rubbish and recycling bags following a number of fires.
Last month, a bag of rubbish collected from South Holland started to smoke and catch fire at a transfer station in Deeping after batteries were found among non-recyclable material.
In Lincolnshire, discarded batteries found in recycling bags has meant transfer stations have had to be closed following a number of fires.
The district council's Porfolio Holder for Place Coun Roger Gambba-Jones wants to remind residents of the dangers of discarded batteries and to dispose of them properly.
He said: "These incidents highlight that a fire is just as likely to start in someone's home as a result of discarded batteries.
"Please, please heed the warning - dispose of batteries safely. No-one wants to wake up to the news of a loss of life or a house fire as a result of batteries being thrown away in rubbish or recycling bags."
Sellers of batteries in large amounts - which include most supermarkets - are required, by law, to provide battery collection points for safe recycling.
Batteries can also be disposed safely at the household waste recycling centre on West Marsh Road in Spalding.
More by this authorVictoria Fear