Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Police say Spalding school bomb threats were hoax calls

Police say the bomb threats that forced pupils to be evacuated at schools in Spalding today were 'malicious and unfounded'.

Children were sent home from St John the Baptist Primary School and Monkshouse Primary School following bomb threats - while pupils at Spalding High School also went out to their field for two hours while a search was conducted after it also had a call.

A police spokesman said: "Today we have worked closely with three schools in Spalding who were subjected to what we now understand were malicious and unfounded bomb threats.

Police outside St John's school in Spalding this afternoon. (51415052)
Police outside St John's school in Spalding this afternoon. (51415052)

"We are very grateful for the swift and dedicated efforts from the staff who faced a difficult and potentially alarming situation and dealt with it in an efficient and reassuring way.

"We will continue to investigate the incidents but we are satisfied, following through searches of each premises, that these were hoax threats and pupils were not at risk.

"Each school will continue to communicate with parents direct but we understand that all three schools will be back to business as usual tomorrow.

"We would like to clarify that we have stated the three schools that received the threats and that no other schools were affected.

"We would like to thank all the pupils involved today whose calm response was a credit to their school.

A police spokesman said: "We are working with three schools in Spalding following reports of threats received relating to alleged bombs on the premises.

"We are sending resources to each school to work with the head teacher to establish the facts and to ensure the schools are safe.

"In the meantime, as a precautionary measure, the schools have been evacuated. At this point there is nothing to suggest that these threats are real and nothing to corroborate the claims.

In a note to parents and carers this afternoon, Spalding High School headmistress Michele Anderson said: "This morning the school received a threatening call claiming that a bomb had been left on site.

"Other schools locally and nationally received similar calls.

"The school followed critical incident procedures, evacuated and called the emergency services.

"A site-wide search has been conducted and the site has now been re-opened by the police.

"Students spent approximately two hours on the field and were well looked after throughout.

"Students conducted themselves with remarkable maturity, common sense and good humour. I am proud of them all.

"I would also like to thank neighbouring schools who came to our assistance with “comfort” breaks and contingency plans had it rained – which it didn’t.

"School worked with the police throughout the incident and followed their advice throughout, including not needing to call parents or buses for an early collection."

The school had a late lunch break before resuming lessons in the afternoon.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More