BURIAL fees in Holbeach are to increase by £30 in the first price hike for two years.
Holbeach Parish Council clerk Teresa Daisley and her assistant Jill Harrington had carried out a benchmarking exercise looking at cemetery fees in Whaplode, Moulton and Spalding and the results were circulated to councillors at their monthly meeting in May.
Mrs Daisley told the council that the last review of cemetery fees took place two years ago.
Coun Jenny Worth said she felt that the current fees were quite cheap compared to other villages and towns in the district.
Coun Isobel Hutchinson agreed, proposing an increase from £220 to £250 for an interment, saying it would be more in line with other cemeteries. This was agreed.
It was decided to up the fee for burying cremated remains in the cemetery by £5 to £40.
Coun John Spencer proposed that the charge for a memorial was increased from £40 to £50 and this was approved.
The council decided not to change the charge for burial reservations, the reservation of cremated remains, vases and additional inscriptions.
The increases will come into effect from June 1.
• At the meeting Coun Worth was elected as chairman of the cemeteries and closed churchyard committee.
Other chairmen are as follows:
• Cemetery chapels – Coun Worth (deputy Coun Spencer);
• Parks and playing fields – Coun Spencer (deputy Coun Hutchinson);
• Allotments – Coun Arthur Male;
• Property – Coun Harrington;
• Planning – Coun Maureen Male;
• Holbeach Bank Playing Field – Coun Jane Cornwall;
• Finance – Coun Paul Brighton;
• Holbeach Neighbourhood (Parish) Plan Group – Couns Worth and Hutchinson.