Restraining order against Spalding mum-of-two

Grantham Magistrates Court
Grantham Magistrates Court
Have your say

A restraining order has been imposed against a mother of two after she harassed her ex with unwanted phone calls, texts and a picture message.

Kimberley Amess (21), of Viscount Close, Spalding pleaded guilty to harassment without violence when she appeared before Grantham magistrates on Monday.

Rod Chapman, prosecuting, outlined how Amess had previously been in a relationship with the complainant, but that they broke up around five weeks prior to the offences.

Mr Chapman said that after repeated contact Amess was spoken to by the police about her behaviour, and warned that if it continued it would amount to harassment.

On November 10 the complainant received three phone calls from a private number and two calls from a number that he knew belonged to Amess.

Then on November 12 he had further unwanted contact in the form of a call and a text message saying ‘I miss you’.

He then received another message saying that he needed to contact her urgently, which he did to be told that a previous girlfriend had a sexually transmitted infection, although this turned out to be a lie.

Moreover Amess sent a picture message of herself.

When interviewed by police on November 22, Amess admitted that she had made some of the phone calls and sent some of the text messages.

Simon Cobb, defending, said that the relationship had ended abruptly and that there were outstanding issues between the couple, including concern over the complainant’s new partner.

He detailed how his client is a mother of two young children, aged two and three, and was now living with a new partner herself.

Mr Cobb added that these were not unusual circumstances after the breakdown of a relationship, and that his client was previously a woman of good character with no court appearances.

He also detailed how the charge had affected Amess’ job situation, as she had been looking to go into the care sector having looked after an elderly relative previously. However the chance of a care job had gone after informing potential employers of the court case.

Mr Cobb said that the defendant would not challenge the restraining order, prohibiting her from contacting the complainant directly or indirectly, and attending their address or place of work. He stated that she had no intention of contacting him and hadn’t since her police interview just before Christmas.

In addition to the restraining order which will last 12 months, Amess was sentenced to a six month community order with supervision by the probation service, and ordered to pay a £60 victim surcharge and £85 in prosecution costs.