Home   News   Article

Plea to Spalding residents to back 'save our homes' fight




Bourne Road residents are pleading with people across Spalding to back their battle to save nine family homes from the bulldozers.

A county council consultation on the line of Spalding Western Relief Road closes on Friday, March 8.

Catherine and Frank Roberts, who 20 years ago spent £300,000 building their “forever home”, are urging townspeople to complete a questionnaire - and suggest an alternative route to end residents’ nightmares.

Frank and Catherine Roberts designed and built their "forever" home costing £300,000 some 20 years ago. (190219-012TW)
Frank and Catherine Roberts designed and built their "forever" home costing £300,000 some 20 years ago. (190219-012TW)

At a public meeting in Spalding, county council executive member for highways Richard Davies promised: “If the vast majority of people don’t want roads knocking down houses we will make sure it doesn’t happen.”

Two possible routes in a so-called protected corridor are highlighted, and whichever one is chosen will see homes demolished.

The Roberts say there will be no winners, only losers, on Bourne Road.

Catherine says there are 38 Bourne Road homes in the protected corridor, and she is canvassing them all.

But she feels support from people living in other parts of Spalding would further strengthen their case.

She said: “I don’t think people actually realise the impact of this. Another day, another time, it may be somebody else who needs support - who knows?”

Frank and Catherine learned from a neighbour that their home could be bulldozed- and not from the county or district councils who drew up the new local plan.

Many were alerted by district and county councillor Angela Newton, who dropped leaflets through doors.

Coun Angela Newton says no homes should be demolished to make way for Spalding Western Relief Road. (200219-5)
Coun Angela Newton says no homes should be demolished to make way for Spalding Western Relief Road. (200219-5)

One resident told us Coun Newton had been “amazing”, saying without her no one would have known that their homes could be demolished.

She said: “Angela has taken the time to arrange meetings and discuss the intended roads and comfort and support some of the very concerned residents who still haven’t heard from the highways department.”

Coun Newton hopes to see support from Spalding people for those who may lose their homes. She backs a previously published route that passed through allotments and says: “No houses should be knocked down.”

*Paper copies of the questionnaire are available from Coun Newton on 07939 559764 or go online at www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/major-projects/spalding-western-relief-road/

You can also click here to go the council survey page.

The green area is the protected corridor while the yellow and purple lines represent potential routes through Bourne Road.
The green area is the protected corridor while the yellow and purple lines represent potential routes through Bourne Road.

Residents were alarmed when they heard bombshell news that their homes could be bulldozed and we featured 85-year-old Don Churchman in a front page story when he said losing his home would kill him.

For reports of from the public meeting called by Coun Newton please click here and here.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More