Register so your voice can be heard

Coun Sally Slade
Coun Sally Slade
Have your say

CABINET CALL: By South Holland District Coun Sally Slade

Over the summer, the team in Electoral Services at SHDC has been working on the Annual Canvass.

I had only been vaguely aware of this before I became a Councillor, and I expect that there are many people who have no idea what it is for.

The Annual Canvass is undertaken to make sure that the electoral roll is correct.

It begins with the distribution of Household Enquiry Forms (HEF) which are then collated and compared with the electoral roll at SHDC.

Every property in South Holland will get an HEF through their door from August 4th onwards. On this will be details of all the people that SHDC understand are at your address, and all who are on the electoral register.

It is a really important form to complete because it confirms who is eligible to vote and in which parish, ward or constituency.

Please do not ignore your HEF, even if you know that you are already registered to vote. You do need to respond to this. However, the good news is that it is really quick and easy to do so!

If the information is correct, you can confirm the details by going online, by calling (Freephone) or by text or by returning the form.

What if someone has moved out? If you need to add or remove someone you can either do this on the form or go online.

The same applies if one of your children is nearing voting age; they can be added to the form from the time they are 16 years old.

All the relevant information will be on the HEF, but bear in mind that it is your responsibility to check that the details on it are present and correct.

And if you have moved house recently you will need to register at your new address, even if you have just moved round the corner! You do not get registered automatically, even if you pay council tax.

Make sure you register yourself so that your voice can be heard at future elections.

If you are not already registered to vote, you can do so on