Poorly maintained electrics to blame for Whaplode St Catherine house blaze

The house on Hurdletree Bank
The house on Hurdletree Bank
Share this article
Have your say

A blaze at a “disused property in the middle of nowhere”, near Holbeach, has been blamed on a poorly maintained electrical system.

The fire at a house in Hurdletree Bank, between Holbeach Fen and Whaplode St Catherine, was reported at about 12.40am this morning.

Firefighters from Holbeach, Long Sutton and Spalding brought the blaze under control, but not before it had destroyed the house and its contents.

Sean Compton, watch manager for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “We were called to an old, detached and disused property in the middle of nowhere and it became apparent that no one had lived there for some time but live electricity was still going to the property.

“Due to a lack of maintenance, the electrical system had deteriorated and it looks as though this is what ignited the fire.”

THURSDAY 8.50AM: Blaze destroys house and contents in Holbeach

A house and everything inside it has been completely destroyed by a fire in Holbeach overnight.

Fire crews from three towns, Spalding, Long Sutton and Holbeach, were called to a house in Hurdletree Bank at about 12.40am.

An electrical fault is thought to have caused the fire which was put out with water jets and hose reels.