Pet cat poisoned by anti-freeze

Warning: Jayne and Ian Clarke, with Chaz
Warning: Jayne and Ian Clarke, with Chaz
Share this article
Have your say

A CAT lover from Baston has highlighted the dangers of anti-freeze after two of her pets died.

Jayne Clarke, of Caesar Close, had to have 18-month-old cats Colin and Princess put to sleep by vets after they were poisoned a few weeks ago.

“It was absolutely devastating,” said Jayne (45). “The vets said it was poisoning. They couldn’t say for definite that it was anti-freeze poisoning but because of the time of year that’s what it’s likely to be. We didn’t realise that it tasted sweet to cats.”

The problem was first noticed when Princess fell into a pond. Colin was later found vomiting.

Jayne was also bitten by Princess when he fell ill and has since had to have an operation to wash the infection out of her thumb.

The family have a third cat, Chaz, but are now reluctant to let him out of the house.

Jayne added: “It was just a horrible way for the cats to die and I would dread to think of other cats suffering the same fate.

“I hope my story helps other cat owners be more aware of the dangers.”