Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Pinchbeck pensioner jailed for historic sexual offences against young girls



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


A Pinchbeck pensioner who admitted a series of historic sex offences against young girls was today (Friday) jailed for ten and a half years at Lincoln Crown Court.

John Baldwin (78), of Money Bridge Lane, was told by the judge sentencing him that he had caused "immense harm" to his two victims.

Judge John Pini QC, passing sentence, told him "Your conduct was appalling and disgraceful.

Lincoln Crown Court (38598727)
Lincoln Crown Court (38598727)

"It is clear that you have done immense harm.

"The fact that you have to serve a prison sentence now is the inevitable consequence of the fact that you escaped justice for so long."

Baldwin had pleaded guilty in March to eight charges of indecent assault on a young girl and a further charge of indecency with a child between December 1987 and December 1995.

He also admitted four charges of sexual assault on a girl under the age of 13 between February 2006 and February 2007.

Baldwin was placed on the sex offenders' register for life and given an indefinite sexual harm prevention order.

Sarah Knight, prosecuting, told the court that the offences came to light in 2018 when the most recent victim messaged her mother telling of how she had been sexually abused when she was ten years old.

Subsequently a second victim made a complaint that Baldwin had sexually abused her when she was aged between the ages of eight and 15.

Miss Knight said that Baldwin sexually abused both of the girls in a brazen way.

In an impact statement the older victim told the court "I lost my life from the day it started, I've had to live with it for 33 years."

She said that as a result of the abuse she suffered as a child she had been unable to sustain a long-lasting relationship with a man.

The woman added that she had been unable to have children out of fear that they would suffer similar abuse and she would be unable to protect them.

The younger victim said she had wanted to die as a teenager because she felt unable to live with the memories of what she had suffered.

Tim Brown, in mitigation, said Baldwin had no previous convictions and had pleaded guilty to the offences.

He added that Baldwin had originally been due to be sentenced at the end of March but the hearing was put off because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

"Mr Baldwin apologises to both the complainants and he says he is sorry," Mr Brown said.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More