Parish council objects to gypsy and traveller site

0
Have your say

SUTTON Bridge Parish Council is objecting to South Holland District Council’s bid to renew planning consent for a gypsy and traveller caravan site.

The district proposes to put ten pitches on “a temporary stopping place” on land off Centenary Way.

Parish councillors objected to the plans when they were first submitted three years ago and agreed on Tuesday to resubmit their original objections as well as point out the access road will be more heavily used by industrial traffic.

Plans by Peterborough company PREL to build a new incinerator will add a further eight lorry movements an hour going past the proposed gypsy and traveller site every hour, according to outgoing parish council chairman Christopher Brandon-King.

He said the site was unwanted and unnecessary.

Coun Brandon-King said there was a greater likelihood of people being hurt because those visiting a transient site for a couple of nights would not be aware of the “enormous movement of HGVs going past”.

Coun Simon Booth said the original plan had been in existence for three years but during that time South Holland had not experienced any problems with transient camps.

Coun Chris Brewis said: “It’s on a road that’s only used for access to industry. It’s the M1 to the power station.”

Councillors also said the settled community should be consulted.