OBITUARY: John William Day
John William Day was born in July 1927 to Elsie and Jack (also John William). He was the eldest of four children with Alan, Betty and Peter.
He was educated at Moulton school until the age of 14 and by the age of 19 he had taught himself to speak and write “a little” French and German and became a highly competent engineer. Over the years he worked for Welbands garage, Adlingtons Electrical, Welland Engineering, Farrow Irrigation, Geest Industries and Wygate Foods.
John served his country in the Royal Army Service Corp and later the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. John trained on DUKW’s for the D Day landing but the class ahead of him went and he became part of the mopping up operation. John found himself in Klagenfurt where the Nazis heading for Nuremberg were being sifted from ordinary POWs. He learnt German and was fondly known to the POWs as Kline Tag (little Day). On discharge from the Army in June 1948 his miltary conduct read 'very good'.
John married Barbara in St John the Baptist Church on April 24, 1954 and they secured a brand new council house in Moons Green, Moulton and stayed there until son Nigel was born in the August of 1957.
John and Barbara then took a mortgage on 54 Park Road, Spalding and four years later their daughter Annette was born. John was a man of quiet deep faith and took his family to St John’s Church every Sunday, served on the PCC and as a sidesman, was an active member of the Church of England Men’s Society, and was always ready to use his electrical skills to help the church.
John had a reputation for being a bit of a Womble. If anything was in a skip or heading for the scrap heap he could repair it or find a use for it. Restoring Morris Minors was a hobby he shared with his son. John was proficient at everything from engine rebuilds to respraying to welding plates.
John followed the progress of his grandchildren and was always delighted to see them if they visited. He enjoyed everything from classical music to poetry, from history to meteorology, from baking cakes to military history and church activities. John discovered his love of good brandy and classical music concerts during his time in Austria. John and Barbara once frequently attended concerts at Berty Fen.He was also a member of Spalding Gentleman’s Society and Spalding History Group for many years.He was a weather watcher for many years and maintained his own weather station and records.
John loved his wife Barbara very much, and as the Parkinson’s started to take his voice he repeatedly told carers how much he loved her. The last word he struggled to speak before the disease took his voice was “Barbara”. John took Holy Communion at home an hour before he died peacefully, surrounded by his family, on the December 7.
His funeral took place on January 4 at St John’s Church in Spalding. The family is very grateful for the excellent care he received from Sharon Brinkman, Barnabas Hospice, local NHS Community Nurses and ministers from the church, and are very thankful for all the neighbours and friends that came to pay their respect and sent cards and messages of support.
At 91 a lot of John’s family and friends had passed on before him, so it was heartening to see the church so full. Friends who came to give support included Brian Bell, Keith Bollons, Mandy Briggs, Margaret and Lawrence Calkin, Thelma and Rob, B Clay, Geoff Clubley, also Shelia Clearly, Dennis Pearson, Peggie Seymour and Yvonne Canaan (from Spalding Blind Club), Gordon and Sylvia Cummins, John Gee, John and Ann Howard, Michelle Milford, Annie Stacey (from History Club), Margaret Smith (from St John’s Church), Mr & Mrs Tucker, Gordon Winyard, and many more.