Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Man from Spalding who escaped from custody and damaged police van is handed suspended sentence after case at Lincoln Crown Court

A man from Spalding who staged a spectacular escape from police custody was caught after just 45 minutes of freedom, a court has heard today (Monday).

Jason Fovargue (34), of Hereward Road, was detained by a police officer and taken by van to Boston Police Station over the May Day Bank Holiday weekend.

During a hearing a Lincoln Crown Court, Hal Ewing, prosecuting, said that Fovargue was not handcuffed at the time when he arrived in the police station's secure yard and made a run for it.

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.

Mr Ewing said "One of the officers checked to see if anything had been left in the police van which was when the defendant took the opportunity to run off.

"He jumped onto the police van and from there jumped over the gate and ran off into Boston town centre.

"The defendant was in Boston for just over three-quarters of an hour before the police recaptured him.

"When he was arrested, and then in interview, Fovargue acknowledged that he panicked and had done something foolishly stupid.

"He said that he didn't fancy spending the rest of the weekend in the police station."

Court news.
Court news.

Mr Ewing then told the court that the police van was left with dents on the bonnet and roof where Fovargue had jumped onto it.

Fovargue admitted charges of escaping from custody and damaging a police vehicle as a result of the incident on Sunday, May 5, this year.

Neil Sands, in mitigation, said that Fovargue was not charged with any offence arising out of the matter for which he was initially arrested.

"This was an opportunistic incident and he panicked," Mr Sands said.

"He was at liberty for some 45 minutes and was recaptured without violence and without any problems whatsoever."

Court news.
Court news.

Mr Sands added that Fovargue had been a drug user before he turned his life around with the assistance of a friend.

"He made the decision that he was going to get clean of drugs," Mr Sands said.

"My client has now been clean of all drugs, both illicit and prescription, since Christmas.

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.

"He did that without the assistance of (drug, alcohol and mental health charity) Addaction but by working with a friend.

"Not only is Fovargue clean for the first time since he became involved in drugs but he is now in full-time work."

Fovargue was given a four-month jail sentence suspended for 12 months with 140 hours of unpaid work and a three-month night time curfew.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More