Spalding man admits to bombarding ex-wife with text messages while under restraining order
A man from Spalding sent 93 text messages to his ex-wife in a week while under a court order not to contact her, magistrates have heard.
Michael Herbert (55), of Cross Street, also texted his ex-wife between August 28 and September 4 this year when serving an suspended prison sentence.
In a hearing at Boston Magistrates Court yesterday (Wednesday), Paul Wood, prosecuting, explained that Herbert had been convicted and sentenced for battery just a few days before the texts started.
Mr Wood said: "Between August 28 and September 4, the defendant sent his ex-wife 93 messages, mostly about him getting back together with her.
"But she only replied to the first message and then blocked his number so that she didn't see them.
"She had made it clear to him that she did not want any contact with him, having received so many messages that she had lost count.
"The defendant's former wife felt upset and harassed by the messages, but she was also worried about him 'in a motherly sort of way'".
When seen by police, Herbert told them he had stopped taking his anti-depressants and wanted his ex-wife back.
Herbert also revealed that he had threatened to take his own life in an attempt to get his ex-wife's sympathy.
During the court hearing, Herbert admitted breaching a restraining order imposed by Lincoln Magistrates Court in April 2018.
Daven Nagen, mitigating, said there would be no benefit to the woman if Herbert was "locked up", apart from him not being able to send her texts.
"At the time of sending the texts, he didn't care if he went to prison," Mr Nagen said.
"But now, three months on, he's moved on with his life."
Mr Nagen told magistrates that Herbert had not texted his ex-wife since September 4 and was now living at a new address.
Magistrates also learned that Herbert was claiming benefits and having treatment for alcohol problems, with his last 12 tests coming out negative.
"He now accepts the relationship is over," Mr Naghen said.
Herbert was told by magistrates that his eight-week suspended prison sentence order would not be activated.
However, the order was extended from 12 to 15 months and Herbert was told to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work.
Magistrates also extended the restraining order on Herbert until April 2021 and ordered him to pay costs and charges totalling £175.
More by this authorSpalding Reporter