Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Holbeach Hurn knife attack - man handed suspended prison sentence

More news, no ads


An argument over loud music at a Holbeach Hurn caravan park led to a man being slashed with a craft knife, a court has heard.

The incident at the Rose and Crown caravan and camping site, off Low Road, when the occupiers of a neighbouring plot complained about music blaring out from another part of the site.

During a hearing at Lincoln Crown Court yesterday (Monday), James Armstrong-Holmes, prosecuting, said: "It was like they were having a party and there was no possibility of getting any sleep.

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.

Mr Armstrong-Holmes added that a woman staying at the camp site approached the group responsible for playing the music to ask them to be turn it down.

But instead, one of the members of the group became aggressive and threatened the woman.

Graham Mellor, who was with the group playing the music, then became involved and violence erupted.

Mr Armstrong-Holmes said “The woman's husband went outside and the first thing he saw was a woman punching his wife in the face.

"Mellor then struck the husband on the back of the head with a metal torch.

"He then got out a Stanley knife which he used to slash out at the husband, giving the impression he was trying to slash his throat."

The court also heard how the man put his hands up to defend himself when one of them was slashed.

The man was left bleeding heavily from the wound and made his way to the pub on site to get help.

Police were then called to the scene and found Mellor sitting outside his caravan.

He claimed he had been attacked and any injury he had caused was accidental.

Mellor (54) of Worsley, Greater Manchester, admitted a charge of unlawful wounding as a result of the incident on May 26, 2018.

He was given a 21-month jail sentence suspended for two years and ordered to pay £400 compensation to his victim.

Judge John Pini QC told Mellor: "Had you come before the court sooner you would very likely have gone straight to prison.

"Let this be the last time you sit in the dock of a Crown Court."

Nick Bleaney, in mitigation, said that Mellor is in poor health and is awaiting a triple hernia operation.

"It was due to have been undertaken pre-lockdown but it never took place."

Mr Bleaney added that Mellor went to turn the music off after the complaint was made but another member of the group turned it back up again.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More