Looking back and the days are so different

Spalding police office'Jim Tyner in CCTV room ENGANL00120130313131810
Spalding police office'Jim Tyner in CCTV room ENGANL00120130313131810
Have your say

On The Beat with Inspector Jim Tyner

September 25 , 2014. It’s just a routine policing day. I thought it might be interesting to look at what I was doing on September 25 in previous years.

In 1992 I was still a relatively new constable, not long on independent patrol. I was on town centre foot patrol and arrested a woman for shoplifting

In 1993 I was designated to work in our enquiry office. We were still in the old police station in The Sheepmarket. My records show that I arrested a hapless man for producing a forged insurance certificate.

In 1994 it was a Monday. I was the beleaguered Beat Bobby for Royce Road. My records show that I worked 3pm to 11pm on cycle patrol. The phrase ‘anti-social behaviour’ hadn’t been invented then, but it existed and I spent most of my shift dealing with young people who had been rampaging through open-plan front gardens in Thames Road.

In 1995 I was part way through my three-week police driving course. This gave me the authority to use the ‘blues and twos’ lights and sirens.

September 1996 was a Thursday. I was part of a temporary plain-clothes crime team. I was working 5pm to 1am and spent most of the shift looking for burglars on the Double Street riverbank path due to recent burglaries. Sadly this is something that we are still tackling today.

By 1997 I had changed role. I was the station’s local intelligence officer or LIO. This involved finding information about local criminals and preparing briefings for other officers.

In 1998 I was a trainee detective in CID. My records show that I interviewed two prisoners for theft that day.

In 1999 it was a Sunday and my day off. I was working in the Crime Reduction Unit, which offered individual crime prevention advice, but also looked at ways of designing out crime. One of my main projects at the time was supporting my sergeant in the introduction of the volunteer CCTV system to Spalding

In 2000 I was now a sergeant. I was on a day shift, receiving Human Rights training.

In 2001 I was training again. This time I was learning about some new-fangled computer thingies.

In 2002 I was the patrol sergeant at Spalding, working night-shift. There was a ram-raid in Sutton Bridge and I co-ordinated our response.

By 2003 I was the Rural Task Force sergeant. It was a Friday and we were working 6pm to 3am. Halfway through the shift my colleague and I had a vehicle fail to stop for us. After a bit of a chase, the occupants decamped in the Royce Road area. One local man was arrested but a second man got away.

In 2004 I was still the Rural Task Force sergeant, and on a day off.

In 2005 I was working 7pm to 4am at Spalding when there was a report of a man stabbed at a house in Bourne Road. The offender had fled the scene, so my job was to allocate officers to secure the scene for forensic examination and task other officers to go in search of the offender.

In 2006 I was an Acting Inspector at Spalding, and I was on early shift. My records show that I had a paperwork day.

In 2007 it was a Wednesday. I was still Acting Inspector and went on an emergency planning exercise that day. I was also preparing for the forthcoming promotion boards.

In 2008 I had been promoted to substantive Inspector and I was staff officer to our Assistant Chief Constable at Headquarters.

In 2009 I was a Temporary Chief Inspector, seconded to the National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA). I was the Delivery Manager for the team that introduced the Neighbourhood Policing Programme to every police force in England and Wales. I was based in the Home Office and so lived in London from Monday to Friday, returning to Spalding at weekends.

In 2010 I was still Temporary Chief Inspector for the NPIA. The new coalition government had announced plans for radical changes and the part of the NPIA I was in was to become the College of Policing.

By September 2011 I had returned to Lincolnshire. I was Temporary Chief Inspector, working directly for the then Deputy Chief Constable, Neil Rhodes.

In 2012 I was back at Spalding, working night shift as the Response Inspector. My notes show that during the night I arrested a drink/driver. The driver later pleaded not guilty, which meant I later had a day at court, giving evidence. The man was found guilty and disqualified from driving.

By 2013 I was doing the job I love the most: Community Policing Inspector for South Holland. Throughout the decades, I have lived and raised my family in Spalding. I care deeply about our community and I felt that all my previous policing experiences would help me provide the best service I could for South Holland.

And now it’s 2014. I write these columns a few days in advance so as I write this, none of us know what will happen today. One of the greatest joys of policing is that you never know what’s going to happen next. This, of course, is also one of the greatest challenges.