LETTER: Holbeach - how we can improve our town
I read with interest the Holbeach transport strategy article in the Guardian this week.
I took the liberty of finding it and reading it. What a great document that doesn’t really say what will be done. Within it a reference to the Holbeach regeneration project - I have researched this but cannot find any web page or official correspondence relating to it. What is it? Who is in charge of it?
The Holbeach transport strategy document talks of the importance of enhancing the town and the town centre. Can I therefore suggest that the below will achieve this?:
• Cut business rates to encourage shop take up. Taper it back in over five years;
• One way Holbeach High Street, creating a centre from Dragon Pearl restaurant to the traffic lights on Market Hill;
• Create a level pedestrianised area with traffic movement restriction similar to Spalding on market days;
• Encourage entertainments/pub/restaurant type businesses to be able to utilise this space;
• Provide free parking everywhere(net saving: no traffic warden);
• Reintroduce two way access from Boston Road and Park Road to the Park Road/Boston Roadcar park with traffic calming to prevent raceway cut through.
• Alter and extend Park Road surgery to provide the facility to cope with the influx of people/patients.
• Purchase land behind The Chequers and Wrights Mews and provide brand new town centre car park with free parking.