HOLBEACH PARISH COUNCIL: Crime and vandalism spree in town

Holbeach news.  Photo by Jim Smith.
Holbeach news. Photo by Jim Smith.
Share this article
  • Yes to Sezanne contribution, but no for Scouts and firework display
0
Have your say

A wave of crime and vandalism, including thefts from vans, criminal damage and disorder, have been reported to parish councillors by police.

In a statement read out during Monday’s meeting, police confirmed that they were dealing with reports of hand and power tools stolen from vehicles parked in Greenwich Avenue, Langwith Drive, Langwith Gardens, Wignal’s Gate and Netherfield. The statement, read to parish councillors by clerk Chris Seymour, said: “Thieves have targeted vans, both plain and those with signs written on them, and all different makes and models are potential targets.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first few months of representing the community in which I live and, together, we can all make Holbeach and its wards a great place to live

Coun Rita Patchett, vice-chairman of the cemeteries and closed churchyard committee, Holbeach Parish Council

“We had quite a number of these thefts reported over Thursday night and Friday morning of February 8 and 9 when a large number of power tools were stolen.

“Whilst conducting house-to-house enquiries, a number of residents were angry that there are no street lights on and that the crimes happened from as early as just after midnight.”

Meanwhile, reports of broken windows, arson and graffiti had also been made to police, including grit bins overturned and cones thrown into ditches along Park Road and Park Lane.

Holbeach county councillor Nick Worth told councillors that extra security measures had been put in place at Holbeach Technology Park, in Park Road, after reports that car tyres had been slashed.

• Holbeach Parish Council has been invited to send two representatives to a dinner marking the 60th anniversary of an English-French twinning relationship.

The Friends of Sezanne, a group promoting Spalding and Holbeach’s links with the north-eastern French region of Sezanne-Mondemont, is planning a reception at South Holland Centre which could cost a total of nearly £1,000 to host.

Parish councillors agreed to make a contribution of £130 towards staging the event at which nearly 40 French visitors are expected, along with the chairman of South Holland District Council, Coun Rodney Grocock.

But there was bad news for 3rd Holbeach Scout Group whose request to stage a fireworks display at Carter’s Park was turned down on health and safety grounds.

Concerns about public health insurance, animals being in and around the park and poor lighting in the park itself were all raised.

Coun Terry Harrington said: “We wish the Scouts well but there are so many things involved in putting on this type of event and they would also have to be in attendance.”

• A decision to grant planning permission for revised plans to build two homes in Battlefields Lane has sparked claims that parish council views are being ignored.

Concerns that the new homes would be higher than those laid out in the original plans and inadequate drainage were not enough to prevent the revised plans being passed by South Holland District Council last week.

Coun Martin Howard, parish council chairman, said: “I went to the planning meeting and they didn’t even mention our objections which was wrong.”

• Repairs to a water leak outside The String of Horses pub are in the hands of Anglian Water, according to Holbeach county councillor Nick Worth.

In an update for parish councillors, Coun Worth explained that the leak had caused flooding along the pavement, “making it impassable for pedestrians at times” he said.

He added: “It’s been going on for some time, even though it was reported back in October or November of last year.

“But because of its position next to The String of Horses on Boston Road South, the county highways department had to secure a road closure which is why it’s taken time for the work to begin.

“The work will an investigation as to what is causing the blockage and then clear it.”

A South Holland District Council spokesman said: “Our environmental health team has reported the problem to the county highways authority whose staff have completed the repairs.

“But in completing them, another problem has been discovered which we are now investigating.”

• Parish councillors are to take up a request for one or more bins to be ordered and placed in Fishpond Lane.

Complaints of existing bins overflowing with takeaway wrappers and other waste were brought to the parish council’s notice at Monday’s meeting.

• The newest member of Holbeach Parish Council is to take on her first important role.

Coun Rita Patchett, who joined the council last October, was unanimously chosen to become vice-chairman of the cemeteries and closed churchyard committee on Monday.

She said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my first few months of representing the community in which I live and, together, we can all make Holbeach and its wards a great place to live.”