Hero may need surgery on broken jaw after attack

editorial image
Have your say

A HAVE-A-GO hero is facing an uncertain wait to see if he will need reconstructive surgery after his jaw was broken in a street attack.

David Bourne has been left feeling nervous about being alone after he was savagely beaten when he went to the aid of a woman he believed was being assaulted.

His girlfriend Pauline Walton said: “Not surprisingly he is a bit nervous about being left on his own at the moment, so I have been staying with him.

“He is still in a bit of pain, with some swelling and the bruising has all come out now.

“He has got to go back to hospital tomorrow to see if he is going to need an operation to fix his jaw.

“They weren’t able to tell before because of all the swelling and bruising, but surgery is a real possibility because of the extent of his injuries.”

David (39) also had to visit hospital yesterday to see a specialist after the attack left him with bleeding on his eye.

Police are still trying to track down those responsible for David’s injuries.

He was left out cold on the ground after the attack, which happened near to Spalding’s St Mary and St Nicolas Church on Monday, August 27.

Forklift driver David had been walking home after a darts match at The Lincoln Arms pub when he saw a woman being held in a headlock by a man.

When he tried to help, he was punched by one man and police believe two others joined in the attack.

He finally managed to stagger home to Alexandra Road before Pauline took him to Boston’s Pilgrim Hospital.

Pauline said: “We haven’t heard anything from the police about the investigation yet, but to be honest David is just trying to keep his head down and concentrate on getting better.

“But I really hope they catch the people who did this to him.”

David’s family launched a Facebook appeal days after the attack, asking for people’s help to find those responsible.

Messages condemning the attack have flooded in to Pauline’s Facebook page and spaldingtoday.co.uk after a picture of David’s bruised and battered face appeared in last week’s newspaper.