Where to go for treatment

News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian, spaldingtoday.co.uk, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian, spaldingtoday.co.uk, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
Have your say

Doctor Calling

If you fall ill during this August bank holiday, would you know where to go for treatment?

NHS 111 is available to call 24 hours, 365 days a year.

Anyone can access the GP Out of Hours service through NHS 111 or will be guided to the most appropriate alternative health service for their needs (NHS dentist, walk-in centre, minor injury unit, urgent care centre or pharmacy).

You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.

Over the bank holiday weekend you may find your local GP practice is closed and it is important to check if this is the case, especially if you are in need of a repeat prescription.

For other health concerns, your local pharmacy offers treatment for common symptoms such as stomach upsets, migraines, headaches, colds and flu, hay fever, mild rashes and cystitis.

You can also find basic first aid and medicines in your local supermarket, to help soothe coughs and colds, treat diarrhoea, headache, heartburn and baby teething relief.

A&E stands for Accident and Emergency, not anything and everything. Emergency departments become extremely busy over the bank holiday period – please only call 999 or visit A&E if it is a genuine emergency. By choosing the right health service this bank holiday you will be treated quicker.

Services locally include (visit www.nhs.uk for information and opening hours):

* Spalding’s Johnson Community Hospital

* Boston Pilgrim A&E

Minor Injuries Units can treat:

* Sprains and strains

* Broken bones

* Wound infections

* Minor burns and scalds

* Minor head injuries

* Insect and animal bites

* Minor eye injuries

* Injuries to the back, shoulder and chest