Heritage Lincolnshire is urging anyone who enjoys walking to discover the area’s hidden gems and varied landscape in the second South Lincolnshire Walking Festival.
The walking festival will take place between September 24 and October 30 and will feature free guided walks in South Holland, Boston and North and South Kesteven. There are 80 guided walks led by organisations such as the Ramblers, Walking for Health, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, RSPB, CurlyDog Walking and Adventures, Ales and Trails UK plus many more. Some walks feature special visits, talks or rare openings of historic buildings and 60 per cent are dog-friendly.
There are various walk lengths and difficulty levels, all of which are detailed in the programme that can now be collected from Tourist Information Centres and libraries or downloaded from the website.
Beverley Gormley, Heritage Lincolnshire’s cultural events officer, said: “The South Lincolnshire Walking Festival is creating a buzz for the second year.
“South Holland, North and South Kesteven and Boston and are jam-packed with heritage and history and we want to help show off those hidden gems to local people and visitors while helping to boost the local economy.
“This is our chance to put this part of Lincolnshire firmly on the walking festival map.
“Our pilot festival last autumn attracted over 1,400 walkers, including 200 children and young people, which shows that there’s a real need in this part of the county.
“We’re even helping BBC Radio Lincolnshire with their new #WalkAMillion campaign.
“The walks will take place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays so that those who work or want to involve the family don’t miss out.”
The official launch event will take place on September 24 at Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust’s Willow Tree Fen nature reserve near Spalding and will be perfect for the whole family.
Along with guided walks around the site (including a ‘Walking through Livestock’ walk) there will be crafts, den building, minibeast hunts, pond dipping and owl pellet dissection.
The festival finale takes place on October 30 at spooky Temple Bruer tower and features a tour and walk plus Halloween-themed activities for children.
Beverley added: “We’re very grateful for a donation from Lincolnshire County Council, but unfortunately, due to funding cuts, this popular new festival is in jeopardy.
“We’re asking participants to donate a minimum of £3 towards the printing of the brochure and day-to-day running costs.”
Visit www.southlincswalking.com or our Facebook or Twitter pages to download the brochure, donate or find out more.
Some of the closest walks include:
• Woodland Walkies with Jerry Green Dog Rescue – Sunday, September 25, 11am: three miles (easy), leader Sam Hedges 01205 260546. Cost free but donations requested for Jerry Green Dog Rescue.
• Algarkirk and Sutterton Circular Walk – Friday, September 30, 11am: four miles (easy), leader Rosemary Saunders 07970 630137. Cost free but donations to Heritage Lincolnshire most welcome.
• From Market to Mill (Market Deeping) – Friday, September 30, 11am: Five and-a-half miles (moderate), leader Lincolnshire County Council Countryside Services Team 01522 55280823. Cost free.
• Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve – Saturday, October 1, 2pm: two miles (easy), leader David Mainwaring, Norah Littler 0771 7408534. Cost free.
• The Great Escape (Fishtoft) – Sunday, October 2, 10.30am: Eight-and-a-half miles (moderate), leader Robert West 07810 833241. Cost free.
• A Stroll Through the Past – Walking Round Holbeach Cemetery – Saturday, October 8, 2pm: one mile (easy), leader committee member 01406 422319. Cost free but donations to the Holbeach Cemetery Chapels project would be greatly appreciated.
• Willow Tree Fen Dusk Walk – Saturday, October 8, 6pm: 2.5 miles (easy) , leader John Oliver 07879 554675. Cost free but donations to Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust most welcome.
• Old Leake Coast Line – Sunday, October 9, 11am: four miles (easy), leader Paul Blackman 07773 461854. Free.
• Swineshead Abbey and Manwaring Earthworks – Sunday, October 9, 1pm: four miles (easy), leader Rowenna Spencer 07958 697711. Cost free.
• Skirbeck Church, Hussey Tower and Boston Walk – Friday, October 14, 10am: three-and-a-third miles (easy), leader Karen Bridges 07857 650318. Cost free.
• Bicker Memorial to a Crashed Lancaster Bomber – Sunday, October 16, 11am: three-and-a-half miles (easy), leader Rosemary Saunders 07970 630137. Cost free.
Historic Spalding – Saturday, October 22, 10.30am: One-and-a-half miles (easy), leader Judy Chapman 01775 680404. Cost free but donations to Ayscoughfee Hall welcomed.
• The Past and Future of Willow Tree Fen – Sunday, October 23, 10am: two-and-a-half miles (easy), leader John Oliver 07879 554675. Cost free but donations to Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust most welcome.
• Bourne Woods and Beyond – Saturday, October 29, 10am: 10.5 miles (energetic), leader Richard Collins 077384 35957. Cost free.
• Tides and Tulips (Surfleet) – Saturday, October 29, 10am: five miles (easy), leader Chris Fearnley 07870 619183. Cost free.
• Lighthouse Lookout (Sutton Bridge) – Saturday, October 29, 1pm: four miles (easy), leader Ian Marshman 01529 461499. Free but donations to Heritage Lincolnshire gratefully received.