A Cowbit pensioner had an unwanted fireworks fright on bonfire night when a rocket was put through her letterbox and exploded.
Wendy Millson (71) was watching TV inside her home of almost 50 years in Backgate on Tuesday night when pranksters pushed a firework through her door, frightening her “half to death” when it went off.
It left her room filled with smoke and police are now treating the incident which happened at about 10.10pm as criminal damage.
Mrs Millson said: “I was just sitting in my living room, with my cat on my lap, watching TV when I heard the letterbox rattle.
“Then I heard a great big bang and a pink flash went up which frightened me half to death.
“My house was full of smoke because of the firework and I thought ‘how could anybody be so stupid?’
“It was a good job I had my curtains drawn, otherwise it could have been put through the door and set light to my home.”
Mrs Millson added that shops should be banned from selling fireworks over the counter and that they should only be used at organised displays.
“I had a snowball thrown at my window a couple of years ago but this was the first time anyone had put a firework through my letterbox,” she said. Cowbit Parish Council chairman Trevor Tyrrell said: “It’s the first time I’ve heard of this happening in Cowbit.”
Meanwhile, police in Spalding are investigating another case of a firework being put through the letterboxes of a house on Monks Walk which left a carpet scorched.