Home   News   Article

Firefighters called to fumes incident at Long Sutton estate agents




Firefighters dealing with the chemical leak this morning. SG141217-101TW
Firefighters dealing with the chemical leak this morning. SG141217-101TW

Firefighters were called to an estate agents in Long Sutton this morning because coolant was leaking from a domestic fridge.

Three members of staff left the building while firefighters tackled the incident at the High Street premises of Geoffrey Collings and Co.

Partner David Wilson, who was on a day off, said he was alerted by office manager Richard Tasker shortly after lettings manager Kathleen Franklin arrived first to discover a strong smell of ammonia.

He said the substance was powerful enough to make the staff’s eyes sting and, so naturally, they had to get on top of the situation.

A fire service chemical expert identified the incident as a leak from the fridge, which was unplugged and will be safely disposed of, and staff were allowed back in the building at about 10.30am.

Mr Wilson said the fire service ventilated the building with fans.

There is a flat above the estate agents but there was no one at home at the time.

No one was hurt in the incident.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More