Home   News   Article

Spalding area Dr Kevin Hill gives advice on what is the best NHS Service for your needs

Self Care Week, which ends on Sunday, provides a perfect opportunity to remind you to choose well when using local health services.

Some health conditions such as sprains, colds and coughs can be treated at home or with advice from a pharmacist, without a trip to the GP or Accident and Emergency.

Using the right health service will save you time and help take pressure off the NHS.

Self-care Week (22010444)
Self-care Week (22010444)

Before visiting Accident and Emergency, consider whether there is a service better suited to your health needs.

Think about using information on the NHS website, calling NHS 111 or visiting your pharmacy for health advice.

Don’t spend hours and hours waiting in Accident and Emergency for something you may be able to treat at home or with help from the pharmacist.

What a pharmacist can do for you (22010976)
What a pharmacist can do for you (22010976)


Accident and Emergency is for serious, life-threatening conditions such as severe bleeding, heart attacks, badly broken bones whilst urgent care and walk-in centres can help you with non-serious injuries such as cuts, sprains, broken bones, scalds and minor eye injuries.

Make an appointment with your GP if you have an illness or injury that will not go away such as persistent vomiting, ear pain, stomach ache or back ache.

It is vital to remember also that self care is not no care and if you feel like you need to see your GP then make an appointment.

Your local pharmacist can help with all sorts of health care advice and treatment without an appointment, as well as minor, short term conditions we can also help with services such as stop smoking, weight management and sexual health.If we feel you need it, we can also signpost you to another NHS service.We are here to help.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More